Taste of Christmas - excessively priced??

fizzelina

Does anyone else feel the "Taste of Christmas" event is really excessively priced considering it is a recession Christmas for many.

In particular paying €19 in for Shopper admission - ie you don't see a theatre demo so you are only paying to be allowed go in and spend money?TICKET TYPE DETAILSTHEATRE SHOW

Standard Standard Seats€29.50 €47.50 Booking fee €3.50
Premier Premier Seats €34.50 €52.50 Booking fee €3.50
VIP VIP Seats, access to VIP Suite, 2 Complimentary drinks €52.00 €70.00 Booking fee €6.50
Pit Stage pit seats - restricted viewing€19.50 €37.50 Booking fee €2.50
Shopper €19.00 - Excludes theatre show. Now on sale, Limited availability. Booking fee €2.50

Last edited:
A shopping and food related event for Christmas in the new national convention centre - a sister event to Taste of Dublin. It's different from the usual IFSC 12 days of Christmas event / market fair which is always free.

Absolutely agree fizzelina.
19 euro to shop!!I hope people have some sense and don't go to it!
Next thing you know there will be an entrance charge into Dunnes stores!!
I feel the same about all the craft fairs etc..

I went to Taste of Dublin a couple of summers ago and it was as expensive as hell.

But then , you get used to high prices in Ireland. One way to get them down, DONT GO.

I went to taste of Dublin about 3 years ago and remember paying 75 for a ticket!

It lashed rain and although I got some tasting tickets for that price, I had to buy more.

Now I go to taste Kildare every year and all you pay for is your car parking(10 per car) and the money goes to charity.

And just in case the ticket price wasn't off putting enough, there is this lovely cash grab -
  1. TASTE CURRENCY -‘Florins’ are THE TASTE OF CHRISTMAS CURRENCY. This currency is used by restaurants, bars and majority of exhibitors. Cash will be permitted to use in certain limited circumstances.
  2. Additional florins can be purchased on site. Florins can be purchased in any denomination as long as it is a multiple of 5 Euro. Minimum purchase is 5 Euro. There is no reimbursement of Florins for Cash. (1 florin = 1 Euro)

Yes, it is overpriced, as you would expect, and this should not come as a surprise to anybody.

I went to the ToD event that was held in Iveagh Gardens last summer. We got free entrance tickets but had to pay for everything once there. Even at that, I found it horrendously bad value. Some of the portions were so small as to be laughable.

I got the sense that most people were there as corpoate guests and that they were given a bucket load of tokens to use as they liked. Easy enough to enjoy it in those circumstances.

I have often wondered about these events with admission.

I remember working on a stall once at a "travel show" at the RDS. It was €8 to get in and the entire hall consisted of travel agents trying to sell holidays as well as embassies trying to convince people to visit their countries.

Undoubtedly the travel agents and embassies will have paid handsomely to be there as well but nevertheless, why should someone pay €8 to be marketed to?

We had some complimentary tickets and visited yesterday afternoon. I would give the event 3/10. First of all the Convention centre is a hot stuffy claustrophobic building, despite being covered in glass. The heating was excessive with everyone walking around carrying their coats. I understand that the basic admission price was circa €19.
It was like visiting a shopping centre with bars attached. No freebies worth talking about, a few competitions. Not even a free Sunday Independent despite it being sponsored in part by the Irish Independent.
The other sponsor Marks and Spencers had their staff standing around talking to each other, a bit like their shops really.
When we were there there wasn't as much as a chocolate being handed out by them.
Dreadful altogether. Glad I went because I have experienced what it is like and will never go again.

I was there from 12:30 to 3:30 and it was quite busy. The restuarants whose food you could smaple were of varying reputation...some of them just wouldnt haven interested me. We had the basic tickets which we got for free but once in the door you needed to buy florins to taste the food and they were 1 florin for 1 euro. We went to Bon Apetit which I believe is in Malahide. We paid €6 for one scallop on a piece on black pudding in a pea puree (it was €8 but seemed to be reduced). It was teeny and very average. Completely overpriced!

Where there many people at it?

Constant stream of people. Stands packed close to each other making it very difficult to make your way around. Usual ignorant people blocking stands, filling in multiple free draw entries. The Taste of Dublin summer event in the Iveagh Gardens was far better.

I went on Friday night again with complimentary's from work. Reminded me a bit of the ideal home show in that there were bits of jewellery, pots, graters etc for sale.

Did not get many freebies.

Was worth a walk around, but would certainly not have paid for tickets. Did not get into the whole "florin" thing. Bought a lime olive oil and a balsamic vinegar from one of the stands. €30 for 2.

Back