Taking out Health Insurance at 45?

Archer1

Hi,
I have no insurance for the past 5 years. I am 45, female, married with kids and currently in good general health. I had health insurance for 10 years from age 30-40. My husband has health insurance. I'm now thinking about taking it out as everyone keeps telling me I will need it as I get older. I stopped paying it as I lost my job and I suppose I felt it had been a waste of money and that if I needed healthcare I could get it through the public system. The money I saved from not paying for health insurance I put into a savings plan. Do I get credit for the 10 years or will health insurance at my age be viewed as new member and be criminally expensive?

Yes, you will get credit for each of the 10 years that you had health insurance so pricewise you will be ok.
You will be classed as a new member coverwise. This means that there is a 26 week waiting time before full hospital cover kicks in, during
this time just accidents and injuries are covered.
Also, if you have any pre-existing illnesses or conditions, there will be a 5 year wait for hospital cover just for these illnesses.
All new illnesses are covered straight away, after the initial 26 week waiting time is served.

Snowyb

Thanks a lot snowyb. I have no clue about health insurance now. There seems to be loads of policies. Would it be cheaper to go on my husband's policy? Any idea what a basic policy would cost now at my age? I used to be on Health Manager with Bupa/Quinn. Can you still request corporate rates or is that all gone.

Archer1,

Just a couple of questions, what plan is your husband on at the moment?
Is his health insurance paid for by his employer?
When is his renewal date?

Corporate rate plans are still available and open to everyone regardless of a person's status, employed or unemployed, retired etc.

Snowyb

Vhi first plan starter. He's self employed. Has the two kids on it as well. Think the renewal is Jan 2019.Wonder would he get TRS rate for me if I were on his policy or do I have to be paying tax myself.

Last edited:
The first plan starter just covers public hospitals only. This means that there is one general waiting list for surgery, regardless if you have
private health insurance or not.
Public hospital waiting lists are not the best at the moment so if you can stretch your budget to 700 approx there is a lot more cover on offer.

Details as follows;

1. VHI One Plan 500; price 731pa; all public and private hospitals covered, private hospital excess 500 x 2 max for admissions or 150 per day
case procedure.

2. Smart Plan 500; price 692pa; a selected list of public and private hospitals covered,( you will need to check these 2 lists to ensure they
suit your location) private hospital excess 500 per admission for surgery and 150 per day case procedure.

[broken link removed]

Tax relief is already built into the price of the plan, which is the same price for everyone, regardless if you work, pay tax or not.

Regarding the children, VHI usually have half price childrens offers throughout the year, with full private hospitals included. Just something
to keep in mind for their next renewal date in Jan 2019, as VHI do not allow switching to another plan mid year.

Snowyb

Back