Taking a futile and feeble stand against Ryanair

Erith

I've have a flight with Ryanair I now won't be using. While I don't really care about the 7.50 fare, it annoys the bejeesus out of me that they have figured out yet another money-making poke in the eye for the customer by charging an 'administrative' fee amazingly close in value to the taxes and levees that were never intended for them to get their mitts on in the first place.
Any advice on how to try and get this money back or at least make a complaint to someone who might eventually do something about this 'strategy'?

Based on the success of people in England taking their banks to court over the 'administrative' cost of excess charge penalties, would the same rules apply? AFAIK, the same EU directive (against excessive administrative charges) is Irish law so the small claims court may be the place to go?

I would check the terms of conditions of the flight you bought, most of us never bother reading the terms and conditions, just click buy and then later on wonder if we have a get out clause if we need a refund etc.
The terms and conditions are nomally on the bottom of your flight confirmation page you receive by e-mail.

I wish you every success trying to get money back out of Ryanair, has anyone ever managed to ? I would love to hear from people who have taken on Ryanair and won

I know people who have used the small claims court for this kind of thing.

Unsurprisingly, they didn't get anything out of it and didn't really expect to, but for them it was the principle of the thing - and the wasting of Ryanair's time/money on the 3 solicitors present on the day, I'm sure had a bit of satisfaction value.

and the wasting of Ryanair's time/money on the 3 solicitors present on the day, I'm sure had a bit of satisfaction value.

Sounds good to me, if I know it cost them more than 30 quid to avoid returning money they were supposed to pass on to the gov and airport, I would be a bit happier.

Rather than actually taking them on though, who would one complain to in the hopes that they might actually be told that nobody buys their story that it costs the poor dears money to sell the same seat twice? Ombudsman or EC equivalent?

Ryanair's (and other airlines') policies in this area are so well-known at this stage that I doubt if any customer could claim that they were not aware of them at the time of booking. Given the degree of attention that this issue has received in recent years, I presume that most if not all the relevant agencies have already dealt with, and adjudicated on, such complaints (without any effect on Ryanair's practices) and on that basis, they are unlikely to re-open the issue on the foot of any fresh complaints. As such, the most that you are likely to achieve out of such a complaint is a polite acknowledgment from the agency or agencies concerned.

Ryanair's (and other airlines') policies in this area are so well-known at this stage that I doubt if any customer could claim that they were not aware of them at the time of booking.

Not sure what this has to do with anything. Nobody claimed to be unaware of the practice, not does it make any difference to whether it is acceptable behaviour.

Given the degree of attention that this issue has received in recent years, I presume that most if not all the relevant agencies have already dealt with, and adjudicated on, such complaints (without any effect on Ryanair's practices) and on that basis, they are unlikely to re-open the issue on the foot of any fresh complaints. As such, the most that you are likely to achieve out of such a complaint is a polite acknowledgment from the agency or agencies concerned.

Why would you construct such a well imagined fantasy? Right down to the polite PFO I would get back. (Can you tell me what it will say?)

Any evidence for anything you say here?

Sorry I've no evidence whatsoever (that's why I said "I presume..." and "likely"). Does that disqualify me from voicing this opinion here? I had understood this is a discussion forum, not a court of law. Silly me.

Funnily enough it was YOU who said that your complaint would be "futile and feeble". I don't really understand why you're challenging me to produce evidence given that I agree with you fully on that point.

Now maybe I might be able to learn something from you, ie how you think your complaint will be treated any differently than the many complaints made on this issue, both officially and in the media including AAM?

good luck with your fight, however Ryanair regard the tax/charges etc as legitimate income (same as the credit card fee per person per flight.) So if the person doesn't fly/ misses then that money is theirs.

I've have a flight with Ryanair I now won't be using.
Any advice on how to try and get this money back ...?

you could try to sell the flight to somebody who wants it.

The name change costs something like 15 euro. If prices on the flight have gone up since you booked it might be worthwhile.

you could try to sell the flight to somebody who wants it.

The name change costs something like 15 euro. If prices on the flight have gone up since you booked it might be worthwhile.

The last time i had to do a name change on a flight i got charged 100 euro

The last time i had to do a name change on a flight i got charged 100 euro

ah, you are right

"Passenger names can be changed up to 4 hours prior to scheduled flight departure through a Ryanair reservation centre only (subject to opening hours) and upon payment of a per person name change fee of £70 and €100. Any name change made to a flight reservation must be for that individual passenger’s complete flight itinerary "

I thought it used to be a lower amount.

Back