Taking a car to Australia

HouseHunter

My wife and I are emmigrating to Australia in September this year and we are considering taking our car. We have a 2005, Saab 9-3 with 120k km. I can't see us being able to sell it here however I have also been told that it can cost a bit to take it to Australia. I have managed to get a great deal on a 20ft container - €850.00, but I believe the import taxes etc are significant and then it has to pass numerous standards tests.

Has anyone actually gone through this? or can anyone advise on how best to tackle this issue?

If we leave it behind with a dealer to sell then it could take months/years to sell and we would be losing out during this period. Whereas we could pay the cost and at least get the use of it.

Cheers in advance!

Taking an Opel / Vauxhall Vectra to Australia is like re-exporting Polish coal from Ireland back to Poland - its just not economically viable IMHO. Cars are much cheaper in Australia (as is road-tax and insurance) and you may have to jump through hoops to pay import duty and obtain safety approval.

Australia has ready access to cars produced for the Japanese Domestic Market and they are far cheaper (and more reliable) than Opel / Vauxhall sold cars here.

If you must have a GM car in Australia, get a V8 and enjoy!

Dont have much to offer really, sounds like a lot of hassel transporting your car to the other side of the world

have you checked out the price of a similar car in oz, maybe you could sell you car cheaply and still have this money to cover the cost of a car over there.

Was in New Zealand a while back and the price of their cars seemed a lot cheaper to here, dont know about oz but id look into it.

another thing to consider is repairs to the car if something goes wrong. Even if that same type and model is available in Oz, the parts could be expensive. BIL brought an Oz car (well a Japanese one really) back with him years ago and some of the repair parts were different to the same model sold here.

Hi Househunter
I moved to Australia last year and sold my old Honda civic,I bought a 1998 Saab 900s 2.3 5 door coupe full spec with 100k on the clock in pristine condition for $6.500 (3.200 euro).fully comp insurance 180 euro tax 700 euro petrol 80 cents a litre,Sell your car for below market value for a quick sale you will be amazed at how much cheaper new and second cars go for over here, best of luck with the big move.

Back