Taking a baby on holiday

BTW, Carpenter, if you decide against Menorca, I was told by a friend that Cabanas in the Algarve is supposed to be lovely. I looked into it but couldnt book it for the two weeks I wanted. I think Sunworld do it.

"Can either of you remember where the best supermarket is?"

Hi Vanilla,

Just sent JR to his room because as usual he can't remember something important like this whereas ask him someting trivial like who won the World Cup in the dark ages and he'd know that alright :D

Its quite a no. of years since we were there and my sense of direction is dreadful but as far as I can recall the best supermarket (weekly shop style) is on the main road to Ciutadella and not too far from Cala Blanca.

There are a few in Cala 'n Forcat that are not too bad but on a smaller scale.

Wouldn't be my favourite but there's also 2 Burger Kings - one in Ciutadella and one in Cala 'n Forcat.

P.S. You lookin' forward to seeing Eddie this evenin'? ;)

:eek: Have to admit was glued to the screen last night...Mr.V thinks I'm hilarious!

Thanks for the info on the supermarket, think I'll pass on Burger King if at all possible! I'm thinking paella, fresh seafood etc, not burger and chips! Although, if needs must...

Lakeview said:
Had our first 3 weeks ago and very much looking forward to the one and only priviledge offered (rightly so) by Ryanair = "anyone with infants or young children kindly board first" ;)

Yes, that's a plus. But on the other hand I noticed they operate a reduced weight limit for luggage (15kg) compared with most other airlines (20kg).

With buggies, etc, isn't this limite likely to be exceeded, thus negating the benefits of the "low" fare? They charge €7 for every extra kg (for both legs of the journey) and from what I'm told they apply this without discretion.

In relation to the above I wonder are we better off buying a cheap, lightweight stroller to bring on the holiday rather than bring the good but heavy/ bulky enough) Mamas & Papas variety? I wouldn't like to lose the one we have or have it damaged by bagage handling. Do you just tie the stroller shut and hope for the best on the baggage carousel? This is all new to me!

Carpenter said:
In relation to the above I wonder are we better off buying a cheap, lightweight stroller to bring on the holiday rather than bring the good but heavy/ bulky enough) Mamas & Papas variety? I wouldn't like to lose the one we have or have it damaged by bagage handling. Do you just tie the stroller shut and hope for the best on the baggage carousel? This is all new to me!

In general, yes, it is probably better to get a cheap, light buggy. You leave the buggy at the bottom of the ramp, just before you step into the plan. You'll get it back when you disembark from the plane at the other end. The drawback is that if you are doing a lot of walking round on holidays, you may find that the limitations of the cheap buggy will impact you - we found the grip on the cheap buggy was a bit of a pain.

Hi Carpenter
We've taken our fold up buggy on the plane as hand luggage ... and put it in the overhead bin without a problem. If that's not possible, you can ask the cabin crew to retrieve your buggy when you land ... so it never gets to the carosel. Buggys' generally can take a good lot of abuse without getting damaged ... :)
You will get a lot of use out of the buggy on hols ... more than at home ... little ones are less inclined to want to walk in the heat. Make sure you bring a buggy that reclines ... so that the child can snooze in it.
I'm surprised that the duty free shops in the airport don't sell strollers.

I'm still unsure about the whole buggy vs. lightweight stroller, could anyone else share their experiences, please??

Hi Carpenter,

Its a while now since my 2 were in buggys but something like the Volo would be good or the [broken link removed] here also.

You will have enuf to bring with you without having to drag along a heavy one.

Don't forget it might come in handy at home also as you can keep the spare in the boot of the car/cars and saves having to load up the heavier one for outings.

We took an extremely lightweight one, bought for the purpose. Think it cost us no more than €30 in Smyths toystores. Just make sure it has the swivel wheels to the front, this is an essential.

I can't tell you how much of a lifesaver this was, it was lovely and light - great for swinging in and out of taxis in Spain, bottoms of buses, and brilliant in waiting areas for planes. If we had taken the larger buggy it would have been a serious pain.

We kept it for 3 years, up until little Mo was nearly 5 - it was sooo handy even last year when she was a little too big for it but good to stick her in when she was getting cranky and tired from walking around, if not it carried the shopping ;)

We bade a fond farewell to the buggy when we left Gran Canaria and donated it to another family who were coming over for the next week. HTH

Thanks sueellen and mo3art, that's made my mind up for me! just sent off the application for new 3 passports yesterday so hope to make booking this week!

Hi All
Booked a week to Sa Caleta with Airtours yesterday! We're really looking forward to it, all we have to do now is buy one of those lightweight strollers for the bambino. Thanks for all the encouragement and advice.

Carpenter

How did you know Sue Ellen? Although I will interchange it with my 'Eddie Hobbs for Office' t-shirt.

A great site for this kind of thing is

www.magicmum.com

Lots of advice and recommendations.

We're just back from Spain with our 8 month old...all went well.

At 6 months old I would go with a buggy that can recline. While some of the cheaper ones are lightweight and easy to manage they are not great for a kranky baby trying to sleep.
Also think about how you are going to keep the sun off the baby if you are out and about during the day...you can get a parsol that attaches to the pram or a total suncover that is mesh like so baby can still see out

With Ryanair they do tend to board families first but it can be a bit of a scrum so be prepared :eek:

Enjoy....

We have travelled for the last 20 years with kids. they are hard work wherever you are so why not at least be in a nice place? we have been known to buy very cheap strollers in the local supermarkets - widely available at least in France_ and then discard them before going home. we usually found someone who was glad to take them off our hands

Back