Taking a baby on holiday

Hi Carpenter, just back from Sa Caleta- and it was a fantastic holiday. The place is perfect for babies and toddlers and is full of them. You can hire a buggy/high chair/ cot etc in the hotel if you want. Having brought the heavy buggy, in hindsight really we didnt need it. Its a very quiet place but there are bus stops right outside the hotel to go to the busier places and the buses are frequent. The hotel itself has a restaurant- which is ok- there are a number of restaurants nearby- ocean, sa quadra, sa nacra, etc. The staff in the hotel are lovely and the place is spotless. There is a small supermarket right next to the hotel with all you'll need, and a bigger 'hypermarket' about 15 minutes walk away. Every night the airtours reps put on a mini disco at 8pm spanish time, with puppets, music and dancing. Its perfect for tiring out the little ones and they absolutely love it. Also every day at 9am there is a guy from AVIS at the reception if you want to hire a car for the day- it costs around €40 for the day- baby seat extra ( I think around €6) but make sure to pay in cash- don't use a credit card as we had extra taken from our card without our permission- although Mr.V checked on-line banking while we were there, copped it and they sorted it out- but once you are home I guess you can wave goodbye to any extra taken.
If you can request a particular apartment, I would ask for the ones on the ground floor opposite the childrens play area and swimming pool- we had one of those and it was fantastic as we could just open the french doors and wander down to the pool, or across to the playground.

Hope you have a great time.

Thanks for the feedback Vanilla, sounds like you had a great time, must ask Mrs C to read your post, she's a little nervous, as for me I can't wait! Thanks again.

Carpenter, where did you get the buggy? Need two this Christmas for Espana, and dont want to bust the budget them.

I bought it in Baby Boom, Loughboy Shopping Centre, Kilkenny. It was a special promotional model that didn't include a carry bag or raincover, but for €49 I was well impressed and it'll fit in the overhead luggage compartment (I'm told).

Hmm, well out of my jurisdiction, but thanks anyway, will keep searching, or maybe borrowing!

The one we got was a "Chicco Caddy" promotional model, I'm sure it's readily available nationwide, I think it's aimed specifically at the holiday/ occasional use market. I'm sure Tony Kealy stocks it.

Thanks for that. Tony Kealy out of mu jurisdiction also, but will check out my local. The offer is on the buggy, rather than the shop i take it. Will have a 3 yr old and a 20 month old, and need two strollers. I think the 8 yr old would ahve one too if she though she could get awya with it!

Yeah, the offer wasn't specific to the shop as far as I know, the stroller came with an instruction booklet which included a note to state that it was a promotional product, sold without carry bag and raincover.

Hi Vanilla
Just back from Sa Caleta, did you stay at the Son Blanc also? Like yourselves I have to say we had a muchos fantastic time! Couldn't believe how good junior was and how easy the whole business was! We intend to return at some not too distant time in the future. I'd recommend Menorca to anyone with children. We thought the Airtours package was excellent and we also hired a car for one day. It was our first time to hire a car but we found it a very worthwhile and a pleasant experience despite initial nerves about driving over there. The only let down (and it's hard to find them) was the fact that people would reserve sun loungers early in the morning (despite notices to the contrary) and as we had a ground floor apartment beside the kiddies pool we felt that a core group and their older kids dominated the pool all day, every day. They (English visitors only it must be said) didn't seem to do anything else and never stopped whinging about the cost of everything from the time they arrived! We couldn't get over it, coming as we do from an expensive country we found top quality nosh and decent wine very reasonable but that's the English for you!!!! Cuitadella was also a fantastic spot with lots of interesting places to shop in and restaurants to explore and all that lovely tapas, yum! Anyway we're back at base, the fire is lighting and it's bloody cold but we can't wait to get the photos back tomorrow, thanks again for the info, spot on!

We stayed at the Blanc Palace - is it the same place? Probably. Glad you enjoyed it. We did have the same thing with the towel reservation system, but there were always loungers left, so not a problem for us. Have to say, we'd go back there too. Can't get a better recommendation than that really.

The Blanc Palace was just across the road from Son Blanc (to the rear of the Palace actually)- but the entertainment and kids clubs were common to both (same pool of staff etc.). Great place alright.

Also just back from Sa Caleta and the Blanc Palace, and only good news. Agree with all previous comments and would go back again. Never have I experienced such water pressure in a shower, fantastic. Have to say, spend a lot of time around the kidddies pool and never had much bother getting a lounger, loads of free loungers always available above the pub - there's a late pub under the decking area/large swimming pool.
Staff excellent, place spotless, local "supermarkets" total rip offs, 2.35 for a litre of milk, 89cent in Diskont - the 15 minutes walk away proper supermarket.
Bus service excellent 1.15 to Cuitadella, 1.25 to Cala Bosch, under 4's free.
Weather great, just 2 dodgy days.
Creche for 3+ was included in the price - unless there was a "special" party where you would pay $5, under 3 and it was $5 hour.
Local resturants okay compared to Cuitadella and Bosch, Bosch very touristy but great food and very cheap.

Back