Take redundancy from corporation and take up new job with same corporation

ivannomonet

I've been working with one of the large pharmaceuticals for a good few years in the engineering area.
I've been offered redundancy as part of a slowdown in my area.
However another site within Ireland belonging to the same corporation is looking to hire people of my background.
Would I be allowed take redundancy from one site and begin employment for another as they are different tax numbers although the same corporation.
I should add that the new jobs in the other site may entail me traveling to many other sites as part of an installation team including the one I would be leaving but I would be an official employee of the second firm not my current one?
Is it allowed or does it have implications tax wise etc for any redundancy.

Haven't even applied yet so this is all hypothetical but if I did apply and was accepted I want to know if it could be an issue.

Forgot to ask above also if I accept voluntary redundancy am I still entitled to 8 weeks notice or 8 weeks pay in lieu of notice having worked for over 15 years with the company?

This may be possible but weigh up the pros and cons of a ball of cash now compared to any long service / continuity of employment benefits you may get (health, pension, extra holidays, higher rate of pay etc).

It may look attractive now to get the redundency payment but it may not be worthwhile in the long run.

There is no reason that I can think of why you could not do this but as other posters have noted you will be breaking your service.

You want to leave a company, and then rejoin same company ???

They are letting people go, and they have vacancies that you believe you have the skillset for ... I see work conditions are different , but still..

Are ya jokin, !!!!

If they run their business like this you will be gettin,another redundancy package soon...

If they are a large pharmaceutical corporation - they should have a detailed employee handbook. If this does not cover your specific question - ask you Human Resources department for clarification.

FWIW - I took voluntary redundancy from the Irish branch of a multi national company in 1985. I had good contacts within the same company in the UK and was close to agreeing a position in the UK head office 4 months later, only to be informed that company policy was that they would not re-hire recipients of voluntary redundancy unless that redundancy payment was re-paid. I had already spent it at that stage (I was 23 and 'easy virtue' etc.) - so no job.

I think each company will have it's own policies and treatments redundancy situations. Ask HR and get the answer in writing.

Good Luck with whatever you decide

Regards
Dicey

Last edited:
Back