Take my pension or take my chances

odenlou

I work for United Technologies and am fully vested. Pensions are supplied per division and I have transferred to several within UTC. Most of my pension would come from Sikorsky, a division I no longer work for, which is slated to be sold or spun-off this year. I am uncertain whether this separation from the parent company, UTC, will affect my pension when I retire. UTC's pension center will only say "We have no information at this time that your pension benefits will change". If I leave UTC and work for a different company, I can start to collect my pension from Sikorsky. My question is whether leaving UTC and starting to collect helps to "lock in" my pension, similarly, whether by staying on my pension can be reduced or the rules changed (e.g. converting an FAE Annuity to a lump sum). I am 60 and finding another job would not be easy, but I want to do whatever I can to preserve my pension from Sikorsky. Some say by all means leave, its harder to reduce a pension you are already collecting. Others say it makes no difference, they can just as easily reduce your pension after collecting as before collecting. What say YOU?

It looks as if you are based in the US.

This is an Irish based site so it is unlikely you'll get an answer to your query here.

Back