Tablets: Paying €85/mth, online €30/mth & according IMT €41/mth.

allthedoyles

I presently pay €85 per month for 28 tablets under prescription .

I know the same tablets can be bought online for around € 30 for a months supply.

However I now see that the Irish Medical Times are stating that these tablets should cost € 41 for a months supply .

Who do I believe - My local Pharmacy or the Irish Medical Times ?

Their website is www.imt.ie

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend of mine was getting a prescription in a pharmacist and asked what it would cost her. I forget the price she was quoted but she said no thanks, I'll go elsewhere. She did and got it for a lot less.

i wonder is it a generic brand that the IMT referred to. if so, you could ask your doctor to prescribe those instead of the brand you're on at the moment.

I've found that shopping around with Irish pharmacies doesn't make a whole lot of difference, because the prices are agreed at Govt level. It seems strange to have the kind of difference that you mention here. I think you could mention the name of the drug and the prices here, without breaching the 'no medical questions' guideline.

I've found that shopping around with Irish pharmacies doesn't make a whole lot of difference, because the prices are agreed at Govt level. It seems strange to have the kind of difference that you mention here. I think you could mention the name of the drug and the prices here, without breaching the 'no medical questions' guideline.

Nexium 40mg €41.23 - see attached link from Irish Medical Times for details :

http://www.imt.ie/opinion/letters/2010/02/doctors-should-be-aware-of-wider-need-on-costs.html

Last year I got a packet of Lemsip in my local adrian dunnes for €5.69 and then out of curiousity priced it in the Boots which is also on the same street and it was €3.69!! So I went back to the first chemist told them I could get it 4 doors down for €3.69 and wanted a refund and they gave it. It was the principle of ripping off sick people that really bothered me. People say a lot about Boots causing local chemists to close etc but those local chemists must be making a fortune charging some of the prices they do. Besides I find my local Boots has the best customer service.

So I went back to the first chemist told them I could get it 4 doors down for €3.69 and wanted a refund and they gave it.
I wonder if Boots would have issued a refund, if you found an item cheaper elsewhere?

No - from retailer link below :

We hav'nt done research yet though and will probably have to add on duty , vat and shipping charges , so it may well cost close to €85 euro at the end of the day .

[broken link removed]

No - from retailer link below :

We hav'nt done research yet though and will probably have to add on duty , vat and shipping charges , so it may well cost close to €85 euro at the end of the day .

[broken link removed]

AFAIK It is illegal to import drugs by post from outside the state into Ireland without a licence, even if you have a prescription for these items and they are for personal use.

We have no intention of breaking the law - a quick google of '' buy nexium online '' just shows how much cheaper these tablets can be bought for outside of Ireland .

Refer to the opening question and you will see that our main concern is , who do we believe , - our local pharmacy or an article in the Irish Medical Times .

This tablet is costing us € 3.35 each , - which means a months supply is € 100.50 .

We hope that someone reading this on aam is qualified to give us a reasonable answer.

We would like to know if the price of this tablet is the same in all pharmacies , or can we buy cheaper if we shop around .

Codex Description Reimbursement PriceCoding Instruction
32265 Nexium (B & S Healthcare) Tabs. 20 mg. 28 (A)€27.8
161450Nexium (B & S Healthcare) Tabs. 20 mg. 7 (A)€6.95
61451Nexium (B & S Healthcare) Tabs. 40 mg. 14 (A)€21.46
32267Nexium (B & S Healthcare) Tabs. 40 mg. 28 (A)€43.98
37021Nexium (G & A Licensing Ltd.) Gastro-resistant Tabs. 20 mg. 28 (A)€28.53
6539Nexium (G & A Licensing Ltd.) Tabs. 40 mg. 28 (A)€43.99
36519Nexium (Imbat Ltd.) Tabs. 20 mg. 28 (A)€28.53
6554Nexium (Imbat Ltd.) Tabs. 40 mg. 28 (A)€43.98
61438Nexium (McDowell Pharmaceuticals) Tabs. 20 mg. 28 (A)€28.56
1439Nexium (McDowell Pharmaceuticals) Tabs. 40 mg. 28 (A)€43.99

Ex-factory cost of drugs is fixed by negotiations between the State and the suppliers.

The HSE now pay a 10% wholesale mark-up.

So ex-factory cost + 10% = reimbursable cost.

Pharmacies get paid this price when they dispense, plus a retail margin, plus a fee.

GMS margin = 0%
DPS margin = 20%

The new deal offers pharmacies a 5 euro fee per prescription, for the first 20,000 transactions. This is a big increase on the old fees.

[SIZE=+1]Search[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Results 1 - 10 of about 52 for DRUG PRICES. Search took 0.37 seconds. [/SIZE]
Next....
[SIZE=-2][MS WORD][/SIZE] New HSE Drug Prices from 1 July 2009
New HSE Drug Prices from 1 July 2009. In accordance with regulations ... the fee. Drug
Payment and Long Term Illness Schemes Prices. - A reduction ...
www.hse.ie/eng/about/Who/Top_30_DPS_Products_Explanatory_Note.doc
[SIZE=-2][PDF][/SIZE] CEO Report 10 September 2009
... This latest move to lower medicine prices is part of an ongoing programme started ...
who terminated their contract resume service under the State Drug’s Schemes ...
www.hse.ie/eng/about/Who/Board_Members/ceorpts/sept09ceorpt.pdf
[ More results from www.hse.ie/eng/about/Who ]
[SIZE=-2][/SIZE]HSE.ie - Health Service Executive Website - HSE Contingency ...
... “The operation of the Methadone service is completely unrelated to the recent reforms
of wholesale drug prices and it is difficult to understand the ...
www.hse.ie/eng/services/newscentre/2007_Archive/October_2007/HSE_Contingency_Arrangements_to_Counter_Withdrawal_of_Pharmacists_from_Methadone_Protocol.html - 18k

Codex Description Reimbursement PriceCoding Instruction
32267Nexium (B & S Healthcare) Tabs. 40 mg. 28 (A)€43.98
6539Nexium (G & A Licensing Ltd.) Tabs. 40 mg. 28 (A)€43.99
6554Nexium (Imbat Ltd.) Tabs. 40 mg. 28 (A)€43.98
1439Nexium (McDowell Pharmaceuticals) Tabs. 40 mg. 28 (A)€43.99

Thanks for your input protocol. - Today we paid €77 for 28 in another pharmacy 20 miles away from our local pharmacy.

I suppose if you take a figure of €44.00 and add the mark-up of 20 % plus dispenser fee €6.00 and then add 21% VAT , it would take the cost of these tablets at shop counter to close to €75.00

They are expensive , but I always believed that '' your health is your wealth ''

We will of course be re-imbursed at year end - through medical expenses with 20% of the overall cost .

Back