Syria next May/June

Hey,
this all sounds great but i want to ask a stupid question of sorts. I travel to the US frequently with work and was wondering if any of the people who have syria stamped on their passports were subject to additional questioning at immigration? Could do without the hassle. Cheers

I strongly doubt it would be an issue - I've never had any more than a super cursory glance at my passport stamps entering the US (which I do pretty frequently) and I've got lots of weird stamps in it - though not Syria ... In my experience the official is usually flicking through to find a blank page (annoying habit they have of using blank pages)

Great place to visit; Aleppo especially, but try to get out to see some of the old Roman cities, especially Palmyra. Not many tourists, but this makes the trip more specially - visiting the castle in Aleppo, the only other visitors were schoolkids on a day out; we got a neverending chorus of "Hello hello hello".

Hey,
this all sounds great but i want to ask a stupid question of sorts. I travel to the US frequently with work and was wondering if any of the people who have syria stamped on their passports were subject to additional questioning at immigration? Could do without the hassle. Cheers

I travelled often to Syria (& Libya). Never had a problem with hassle at US Immigration. Was asked at immigration what I did for a living sooooo tempted to say international terrorist but desisted.

Just wondering if anyone here has experience crossing into Syria from Jordan without getting a visa first, I heard its possible to do for Irish citizens.

Just wondering if anyone here has experience crossing into Syria from Jordan without getting a visa first, I heard its possible to do for Irish citizens.

Considering the five-hour wait we had at Syria when on a package tour with all visas already sorted, I'd be wary of not having a visa and turning up.

Yeah I know its a risk but I'm in Jordan now and you have to be a permanent resident to get a visa from the Syrian embassy here in Amman

I went to Syria/Lebanon earlier this year. The official position is that you can get a visa at point f entry into Syria if (and only if) your country of residence as no Syrian embassy. As this is the case with Ireland, officially you should get it. I got a visa prior thru the embassy in UK and there was nearly an hour delay at Damascus, so you probably should go early in the day and if you are prepared to be patient Syria is more than worth whatever trouble it costs - just go there. I took three weeks there and will never forget it. There are (relatively) few tourists, so an attractive destination, and a huge welcome nearly everywhere - but beware your shoes may be stolen in the mosque, hold onto them unlike me! The only hassle I found was at the exit point at the Lebanon border which was a huge delay what with all the paperwork and departure formalities, tax etc.
kb

Back