Switching is a no brainer. In 3 years, I have switched from BoI to KBC and now to AIB

Doorpep

PPR in Dublin was purchased in 2014. Variable mortgage of 4.3% with BOI.

Interest rates subsequently started to decrease and banks started offering cashback to switch.
KBC offered us a variable rate of 3.55% plus €1,000 cash back to move [Broker we used was also offering free home insurance plus valuation fee as an incentive to use them]

All things being equal over the term of the mortgage, this lower rate with KBC would equate to a saving of four years over our term if we continued to pay the same monthly amount that we were paying to BOI;

Four years is a big saving,

We put it to BOI that if they didn't match the KBC offered rate (We were only interested in variable) that we could be taking our business elsewhere.
They did then lower our rate from 4.3% to 3.9%, but would not match KBCs 3.55%
So, we went to a broker who handled the switch (further info on switch requirements below)

The switch was completed in three to four months, we had to open a KBC current account and ensure salary was paid into it as part of the process.

Approximately two months after we drew down the variable mortgage with KBC, they lowered their variable rates.
I called them and asked that as we were in the applicable LTV bracket, could this new lower rate be applied to our mortgage also.
The answer was an unequivocal no. The rate decrease wasn't massive, but their negative response really annoyed me. The response came from someone in their call centre and despite my requests to speak with someone more senior on it, it was flat no.

Another few months later, their variable rates dropped again. My request for this new rate to be applied to our account again fell on deaf ears. At this stage, I told them that even though our mortgage was only with them six months or so, I was more than prepared to move it from them if they would not apply this lower rate.
They didn't - so, I followed through and moved our mortgage away from KBC to AIB where we are now on 3.1%
(We went directly with AIB this time as opposed to a broker, got the €2K cashback and the process was very efficient)

AIB requirements for the switch below (very similar to those required by KBC)

1. Completed AIB salary certificates
2. Most recent 3 consecutive payslips
3. P60s for both of us
4. 6 months Mortgage statements for KBC
5. 6 months statements for all accounts NOT with AIB (Current, deposit, loans, credit cards)
6. Completed application form
7. A completed valuation form, valuer must be chosen from the AIB approved listing. Charge was €150
8. We subsequently needed to provide originals of Fire Cover and Mortgage Protection Cover.

People think that moving their mortgage is hassle. Yes, there is some admin involved, but its nothing more than a few emails/phonecalls and printing/photocopying.

When you realise the savings that you can make by this nominal amount of 'admin' you will realise that it really is an easy and obvious decision. Those four years that we have potentially saved by moving will go a very long way towards our kids college fund.

If you're hopefully in a position to be able to move, make it your New Years Resolution to just do it- you'll thank yourself later!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engaged same Solicitor (cost was circa €1,500 including VAT, Outlay etc), however AIB gave us €2,000 cash back. With the previous move to KBC, we received €1,000 cash back also. The KBC rate was much better than BOI, so it made sense to do so even though it cost us a little in the process.

Valuation is only valid for three months. If the process takes longer than this, you will need to have the valuation reissued. The Estate Agents that we used (SF) did not charge us for the updated valuation at the later date.

On the whole, AIB were very efficient to deal with, however process will move relatively quickly if you have all of the above as available as possible when you begin the switcher process. Ours was done in just over three months - delay was down to us rather than AIB.

Used the mortgage comparison tool on the Irish site 'Bonkers dot ie' [won't let me post the URL] to compare the market to determine the best option for us.

Hope that helps someone out there.
We've gone from 4.3% to now 3.1% in less than three years because we chose to shop around, it really does make sense to switch if you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doorpep has updated the first post to give a systematic account of the switching.

It's a great read for anyone who is faffing around instead of actually switching.

Brendan

and hopefully will dispel a lot of the scaremongering that people do regarding how hard it is to switch, how long it takes blah blah blah

@Doorpep Firstly, kudos for switching twice in such a short space of time. It is something which can be very financially worthwhile to do for what is in fact the largest financial commitment most people will ever make

I am guessing from the details you provided, you have a very strong LTV (<50%). This is always beneficial when switching as it does reduce the credit risk (long term) for the bank.

However, I will also assume you have a relatively low LTI ratio, and meet the 'affordability' rules without any adjustments in spending patterns- like a number of people would be required to do. This can prove tricky to some where circumstances have changed including childcare costs. I am assuming this does not apply in your case.

But I 100% agree, that everyone should make a financial review a priority for 2017, and getting a better mortgage rate either with their own bank or another bank is a key element to this. Well done for showing the initiative (twice).

For the record, I was in the same boat as you with BOI and switched to KBC in 2015. I am still with them, but for a different reason. However, if a more competitive offer appeared tomorrow, I would happily switch again.

@Doorpep can I also ask what steps/guarantees you sought/requested from AIB regarding passing on interest rate cuts to you after you moved to them, given your experience with KBC in particular?

@gnf_ireland
Thanks for your comments, just to clarify - we have three small children under the age of five, so have the associated exorbitant childcare costs that so many others have also. We do not earn enormous salaries, but choose to shop around for the best value mortgage so that our pennies go further.

I didn't seek any guarantees from AIB regarding passing on future interest rate cuts, but AIB do seem to be one of the fairest banks in that regard. We are in a strong position regarding LTV, so if rates are significantly more attractive elsewhere and AIB won't match - then yes, we will move to where we can get the best value.

we have three small children under the age of five, so have the associated exorbitant childcare costs that so many others have also. We do not earn enormous salaries, but choose to shop around for the best value mortgage so that our pennies go further.
Doorpep - the reason I ask is this stops a lot of people from applying to switch, believing they will get rejected. 3 pre-school kids puts serious pressure on any salary - childcare costs alone.

We are in a strong position regarding LTV, so if rates are significantly more attractive elsewhere and AIB won't match - then yes, we will move to where we can get the best value.
Obviously on the assumption you remain in a position to switch. No one can predict the future of course

Earlier in the year I did discuss switching with AIB and while they would commit to their current policy of treating new and existing customers equally, they would not commit to inserting this type of clause into the home loan agreement. I did find this strange especially if their marketing material at the time was based on this commitment. I was just wondering if you had any similar experiences with them

I too would love to see their analysis but I certainly think it's almost certainly true that the vast majority of, non-tracker, variable rate customers could make savings by switching to alternative products.

I agree that variable rate BOI customers could save by moving to a fixed product (by enlarge)
AIB is one of the biggest mortgage providers, and they commit to passing on interest rate cuts to all. Surely there should be no-one with AIB overpaying :)
Ulster Bank - the same as AIB above ;)
PTSB have their Managed Variable Rate where their uptake is low (~20%). They don't allow existing customers move to fixed products to my knowledge.
KBC until last week did not allow existing customers change products. Now they are allowing it, subject to signing new T&C's

But given AIB and Ulster Bank apply rate cuts to existing customers, its hard to understand where the 80% is coming from.

I would love to know what percentage switchers is assumed here? Is everyone moving to KBC or AIB to get the best deal ?

Back