Key Post Switch or re-fix my mortgage? Breakage fee calculator and savings estimates for your case (Ireland)

Hi Paul,
Not sure if this will be answered but thought i'd try! Really should have had this fixed last year but somehow life got in the way... Looking at fixing it at 3.6% Green rate for 5yrs at AIB. Would it be a good move? Is there any admin cost involved if we decided to do so? Many thanks!

• Current lender AIB
  • Outstanding mortgage balance (how much you still owe) €180K
  • Approximate current value of your property €450K
  • The date you started your fixed-rate mortgage (month and year) Currently on variable 3.3%
  • How many years you fixed for NA
  • Your current mortgage interest rate 3.3%
  • Your current monthly repayment (excluding any overpayments) €871
  • Your property's BER (Building Energy Rating) – check it here or estimate it if necessary Somewhere around A
  • Are you due to get extra cashback from your current lender in the future, e.g., "1% after 5 years", or "2% cashback monthly"? If so, how much (monetary amount) and when? No
  • Did you use a broker when you took out your current mortgage? No

Hi Paul,

Current lender: PTSB
Outstanding mortgage balance (how much you still owe): 211,000
Approximate current value of your property: 450,000
The date you started your fixed-rate mortgage (month and year): 30/06/2019
How many years you fixed for: 4 yrs.
Your current mortgage interest rate: 2.6%
Your current monthly repayment (excluding any over payments): 1,331.62
Your property's BER (Building Energy Rating): unsure
Are you due to get extra cashback from your current lender in the future: No.
Did you use a broker when you took out your current mortgage? No

Thank you.

Current lender: ICS
Outstanding mortgage balance (how much you still owe): 326.5k
Approximate current value of your property: 591k
The date you started your fixed-rate mortgage (month and year): NOV 2022
How many years you fixed for: 3
Your current mortgage interest rate: 3.75%
Your current monthly repayment (excluding any over payments): 1,560.30 (30 yrs)
Your property's BER (Building Energy Rating): A3
Are you due to get extra cashback from your current lender in the future: No
Did you use a broker when you took out your current mortgage? Yes

I have a letter of offer from BOI, but by the time I got it rates have risen, is it still worth changing to with solicitor fees etc? Still have 2.5 years left at 3.75%. Offer is 4 year fixed @3.4% HV Green Mortgage.

Is this thread still active?
I am on AIB Green rate 2.15% (locked for 5 years in May 2022) and wondering if there will be a break fee?

Fixed in June '22 for 5 years and now unexpectadely need to sell and need some help calculating the break fee.

Current lender: AIB
Outstanding mortgage balance: 190k
Approximate value of your property: 360k
The date you started your fixed-rate mortgage: June 2022
How many years you fixed for: 5
Your current mortgage interest rate: 2.55%
Your current monthly repayment: 1089 approx
Your property's BER: C1
Are you due to get extra cashback from your current lender in the future: No

Really appreciate help in calculating :)

Last edited:
Hi. Apologies in advance for not having all the correct information. The increases from AIB will mean an extra €78 a month for mortgage since Feb of this year. My understanding from reading other posts is that the rate I'm on may still be the best but I appreciate any advice

• Current lender AIB
  • If your current lender is Permanent TSB, was your mortgage transferred to them from Ulster Bank? n/a
  • Outstanding mortgage balance (how much you still owe) 159,000
  • Approximate current value of your property 220,000
  • The date you started your fixed-rate mortgage (month and year) July 2007
  • How many years you fixed for I did fix over the years for periods currently on LTV variable
  • Your current mortgage interest rate Going from 3.1% to 3.75% in August
  • Your current monthly repayment (excluding any overpayments) 902.32 will be 953
  • Your property's BER (Building Energy Rating) – check it here or estimate it if necessary Not sure on this
  • Are you due to get extra cashback from your current lender in the future, e.g., "1% after 5 years", or "2% cashback monthly"? If so, how much (monetary amount) and when? No

I am creating this thread as a place where people can request guidance on whether they should switch their mortgage to another lender (also called mortgage refinancing or remortgaging) and, if so, which lenders and interest rates they might consider switching to.

You are allowed to switch even if you are in the middle of a fixed rate with your current lender. The savings can be very significant, even if you have to pay fees. (The typical cost for switching mortgage provider is €1,500, but the savings you make will quickly cover this in many cases.)

The guidance you receive will include an estimated calculation of the breakage fee ("early repayment charge" / "breakage cost") if you are currently on a fixed-rate mortgage, and the savings you would make by switching. (There are no breakage fees on variable-rate mortgages.) I am not aware of an online mortgage break fee calculator for Ireland, but this is arguably the next best thing.

To request guidance, please provide the following information:
  • Current lender
  • If your current lender is Permanent TSB, was your mortgage transferred to them from Ulster Bank?
  • Outstanding mortgage balance (how much you still owe)
  • Approximate current value of your property
  • The date you started your fixed-rate mortgage (month and year)
  • How many years you fixed for
  • Your current mortgage interest rate
  • Your current monthly repayment (excluding any overpayments)
  • Your property's BER (Building Energy Rating) – check it here or estimate it if necessary
  • Are you due to get extra cashback from your current lender in the future, e.g., "1% after 5 years", or "2% cashback monthly"? If so, how much (monetary amount) and when?
  • Did you use a broker when you took out your current mortgage?
If you are looking for information on something that is not directly related to break fees or which lender to switch to, first check the below links to see if your query has been answered before. Consider asking your question in one of those threads before asking it here.

Most mortgage lenders in Ireland – AIB, Avant Money, Bank of Ireland, EBS, Finance Ireland, Haven Mortgages, ICS Mortgages, Permanent TSB – allow you to switch your mortgage to them. Ulster Bank still allow their current mortgage customers to switch to a different interest rate ("re-fix").

Interest rates could rise between now and the time that you complete any switch, so you (or your broker) should apply simultaneously to two or more lenders for approval in principle (AIP), or consider re-fixing with your current lender (which is a much simpler and quicker process).

If you have a tracker mortgage and you are trying to decide whether or not to fix your mortgage (or switch lender), see the tracker thread. (You can come back here and post your mortgage details if you decide to fix/switch.)

If you have a buy-to-let (BTL) mortgage, or you are renting out your property, start a new thread with your questions.

Nothing in this thread should be considered financial advice.
Hi how do I request guidance please re fix or switch? Thanks

• Current lender EBS
  • If your current lender is Permanent TSB, was your mortgage transferred to them from Ulster Bank?
  • Outstanding mortgage balance (how much you still owe) 350,000
  • Approximate current value of your property 770,000
  • The date you started your fixed-rate mortgage (month and year) due to start August 2023
  • How many years you fixed for looking at green rate 5 year HVL
  • Your current mortgage interest rate will be we currently have a variable rate of 3.7%. New rate with PTSB 3.95%
  • Your current monthly repayment (excluding any overpayments) 2150
  • Your property's BER (Building Energy Rating) – check it here or estimate it if necessary B3
  • Are you due to get extra cashback from your current lender in the future, e.g., "1% after 5 years", or "2% cashback monthly"? If so, how much (monetary amount) and when? Yes 2% on drawdown and 2% monthly if we open current accounts with PTSB
  • Did you use a broker when you took out your current mortgage? Yes Doddl
We are happy to switch to PTSB however are looking to move house within the next 2-4 years so unsure whether to fix for 5 years on the green rate fixed 5 year. Could you help us calculate the breakage fee? Thank you !

Could you help us calculate the breakage fee? Thank you !
It's an impossible question.

Your break fee at a future date will be based on the movements in interest rates between now & then: if interest rates go up there'll be no break fee, if they drop there will be.

Yes thanks, the more I read up on it I understand that now. The difference essentially depends on the rate in the future which if I knew that … thanks for answering

Hi Paul

I would much appreciate a breakage fee estimate. I want to pay a lumpsum off our mortgage or 40k€.
  • Current lender BOI
  • If your current lender is Permanent TSB, was your mortgage transferred to them from Ulster Bank? -
  • Outstanding mortgage balance (how much you still owe) 250k€
  • Approximate current value of your property 1.1M€
  • The date you started your fixed-rate mortgage (month and year) Jan 2023
  • How many years you fixed for 5years
  • Your current mortgage interest rate 3%
  • Your current monthly repayment (excluding any overpayments) 3.4k€
  • Your property's BER (Building Energy Rating) – check it here or estimate it if necessary B1

Back