SW office asked for passports and kept passports for examination

greencl

SW officer asked my tenant and his family to submit originals of passports ( rent allowance application and job seekers benefit) for examination of leaving the state and staying in and still not returned after 2 months.

SW after examining the passports declared that they over paid child benefit for his wife 6 months in 2006 when the tenant and family were in USA, so they would recover that money before rent allowance is decided. tenant disappointed and explained that he did not stay 6 months, that is just 6 months B1( business/ not residence) visa , just travelled in and out for company travel and some times family accompanied with him. i gave letter to SW that i received rent during that period and tenant did not leave the state, tenant gave PRSI statement, tax record, utility bills employment record. but no...they still say they need time and still examining...

i suggested tenant to ask the question to SW officer if they can write to him if this request ( of soliciting passports and keeping them for such a length of time) complies in first place with duties and jurisdiction of social welfare officer or department. if the SW team is trained to read and understand visas....

i thought SW are just trying to put up a show that they are targetting some numbers, any thoughts how to get over this and get back passports asap. 8 weeks is crazyyy

Ring the office and ask for an immediate written response as to why they're holding your passport. If they won't/don't supply one, ask to speak or meet with the office manager. It's totally outrageous to hold onto someone's passport for that length of time

SW have the OP's tenant password.

This is a matter between the tenant and SW, nothing to do with the OP.

OP should consider the pros and cons of keeping the tenant if they are having problems raising the rent.

Back