Suspended for month without pay!

wjc

Friend of mine back from a weeks holidays this morning and told that employer was suspending him without pay for 1 month! Working in horse stud and employer was not happy with way things were while he was away. Can you do this? Any advice for him? I'm sure it is not legal.

Does your contract say anything about this?
It's very unusual (unheard of?) to suspend someone before an investigation.
I don’t know any employer who would do it.

It's very unusual (unheard of?) to suspend someone before an investigation.
I don’t know any employer who would do it.

Absolutely not. It is good good practice to suspend some while conducting an investigation especially if their presence might hinder the investigation. It would be common if there was an investigation of a complaint on bullying.

To suspend someone for 1 month as in this case, seems to be inappropriate. Especially without pay.

Brendan

Can you provide more information:

- What was the nature of the issue he was suspended for?
- What investigation if any was undertaken?
- Are there disciplinary procedures in place in the company?
- Were they followed?
- Was your friend given an opportunity to respond to the the allegations?
- Is the suspension to allow for an investigation?

With further information I can help you with direction to take this.

Absolutely not. It is good good practice to suspend some while conducting an investigation especially if their presence might hinder the investigation. It would be common if there was an investigation of a complaint on bullying.

I agree. I was talking about suspension without pay (I should have been clearer). I have never heard of anyone being suspending like that before an investigation was concluded.
Suspension without pay is a punishment, not a holding exercise.

I believe some of these horse studs have rules of their own and get away with it. Is your friend working in the Curragh by any chance?

Back