Surveyor Recommendation.

Alli

Hi,

Finally gone sale agreed on a property after almost 3 years of looking and wondering whether to take the plunge or not!

However, now doing homework on getting a survey done. Would like to have the most detailed survey possible, so am wondering if anyone could direct me or pm me details on this...ie, what I'm after is not the standard 200 euro one. And if you can recommend a surveyor to cover Dublin 15 area even better.

Have been told by friends am mad to 'waste this money' as I've bought a 'standard semi less than 15 years old' but I think it's the most vital part of the process and money well spent.

thanks,

alli.

Last edited:
I used Mc Governs , based in city centre but they travelled to swords no problem . My property is less than 2 years old but I still went for the Full Structural Survey , for peace of mind. Expensive, but I found them very thorough and I feel confident buying the house . I got a ten page report !

No affiliation just a happy customer .:)

I've used Patrick Gillooly of Kennedy & Associates (01 6767299) on several occasions in the past, both for myself and clients and always found him to be very thorough, reasonable and professional. Kennedys are on the valuation panels of most lenders so can do the mortgage valuations also.

I have no connection.

I've used Patrick Gillooly of Kennedy & Associates (01 6767299) on several occasions in the past, both for myself and clients and always found him to be very thorough, reasonable and professional. Kennedys are on the valuation panels of most lenders so can do the mortgage valuations also.

I have no connection.

I second Pat, think it's €400 + VAT for the survey plus lender valuation (normally €130), no connection just have satisfied customers.

Thank you all for those. Going with Pat - he gave us a very detailed account of the survey.

Alli

Do you mind me asking how much pat mc govern charges for a full structural survey?

McGoverns are about €600 + VAT from recollection. I used them last year (from recommendations on AAM) and found them excellent.

Hi
I went with Patrick Gillooly of Kennedy & Associates on recomendations, from this site. I found them very general ,not very detailed, was,nt happy with building survey report , not nice to deal with. This is only my experience which i thought i would share.

Are these aboslutely necessary whenpurchasing as most people say they are jsut expensive snag lists and are not laible for anything

Are these aboslutely necessary whenpurchasing as most people say they are jsut expensive snag lists and are not laible for anything

Your choice. No one will force you. If you are advised to do one, and you will be, and you choose not to do one, then on your own head be it. Caveat emptor and all that.

I've used Thorntons in the past and found them excellent but pricey. As against that, a house purchase is for life and not just for Christmas.

The problem I see is that people want a cheap service but a premium back up. Mutually exclusive I reckon.

mf

Only seeing this thread now and I find the comments here are disconcerting.

House inspections were what many junior architects cut their teeth on and you're talking a two hour survey with a 6-page report and comments on everything from construction to drains, internal finish and wear and tear on the door handles.

The only thing we excluded was lighting the fire to check the draw.
Utterly astonished to heare your comments MrsH, because a competent architect suspecting damp would ring up Dampco and get them out - or some other firm - many do a free inspection service.

I have no experience of the firms you mention and no connection to them, I'm only sorry to hear you had such poor results from engaging building professionals.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Back