Surround sound connections in skirting boards

redo

I am to have wooden floors put down soon and would like to have my wires under the floorboards. My idea is to have audio sockets in the skirting boards underneath where the speakers go and sockets behind the audio receiver too. I have seen some conntectors at maplins[broken link removed] but I have seen connectors that are 4 pole. I am very concious of furture proofing the connections now and expect to upgrade the amp/speakers etc when money permits. Anyone audiophile out there done this before or can give some advise please?

use xtra flat speaker cable and low profile (not very deep) connectors . I did what you propose some years back.

2Pack said:
use xtra flat speaker cable and low profile (not very deep) connectors . I did what you propose some years back.

Out of interest did you do this under a floating floor or a proper battened wooden floor?

I started a thread a while ago to find out whether it would be possible to do this with click together laminate or semi solid laid as a floating floor. Most the advice I got here was to run it behind the skirting but that would be tricky.

I will be putting the floors down in the next month or two so I’d be interested to hear how this has worked out for you.

Seeing this thread and those connectors I may also try and use some sort of connector plate along those lines, how would that work?

I am kind of thinking maybe run the wires under the floorboards and if the skirting is taken off for doing the flooring then I could run them up behind the skirting and have a hole drilled in the skirting to thread them out of. Then after the skirting goes back on I could wire up the connector plates and screw them in.

Another approach I read somewhere else lately was to put them in the spacer gap between the floor and the walls but I'd be a bit concerned that any expansion might pinch the wires.

Hopefully, when setup correctly, I will have four connecting terminals around the room. Short wire will then connect the speakers to these. These terminals will have high grade wire under the floors to an array of connectors, Front L/R and Rear L/R will all have wires leading to the skirting board behind the AV unit.

I have a cheap seat of speakers at the monent, and hopefully, when I get new ones the connectors in the skirting will work.

Back