Surprise at pre-planning meeting

Hi there,

Have just been through the planning process - hasn't been easy but we did get planning. Like yourself, last August we started off with planning meeting. The main criteria we had to follow was have lived within 5 miles of the land in question for quite some time - which we did. Prove a housing need or need for new house - we had a house which we build 15 years ago - my need to move for agricultural reasons, I did up a business plan which I was advised to do. We submitted plans for new eco house, business plan, letters outlinging need for new house, why we need the land for our childern in the future, need to stay in the area for schools, family etc. We also had to get a councillor to help along. Submitted in January this year, got full planning last week, thank God. I wish you the best but get councillor and be honest also be very definite about your "need".

I had a telephone conversion with the pre-planner today and was informed that "it may be worth my while to look for planning". I was also told that no concrete decision coiuld be given until planning had been applied for etc etc.

I never doubted it for a minute.;) Just one further peice of advice, spend a lot of time getting your planning application correct. Try and anticipate any area that they may look for "further information" on and deal with it before submission. The more complete/comprehensive your application, the less reason you will give them to look unfavourably on it.

Also, the more you can reference the country development plan and other (national) guidelines in the application the better. By doing this, you're making any rejection seem to go against the council's own policy, and hence making it harder for them to do that (and justify it).

Just to let you know - I got the planning :D.

I had no problems at all, really. Most of the delay was down to me getting the plans drawn up.

Thanks again for all the help and advice.

Back