sunroom - neighbours

dingdong

Hi

We live in semi -detached in dublin city. My neigbour has said they are proposing to build a sunroom to the rear of there house.

i am of course not happy with this as it will block all my evening sun and obstruct light into my built extension.

my self and my neighbour have built 40 sq mtre extensions already onto the rear of our houses in the last 5 years. so thus have already used our planning exemption. they would have 25sq mtrs left after they build additional sun room. if it comes to it do you think they would get planning ..

can i object and on what grounds, would have a case

as i really conerned it would leave our home very closed in

Yes you can object.
From your description I'd be surprised if they were granted permission.

Grounds for objection:

Over-development of site,
Setting of precedent for others in the area.
Overshadowing (maybe).
Adverse effect on residential amenities of neighbouring properties.
Adverse effect on property values of neigbouring properties.

Consider asking an architect/experienced engineer to word an objection.
Also look up An Bord Pleanala's website and search for decisions on similar proposals.

never take planning for granted. If its one storey, your boundary is about 2 metres, and the planners consider the residual open space is suffiucient then its possible planning could be obtained.

Definitely complain about it because otherwise it might get approved. Its worth letting them know you're objecting to it though as it might lessen the negative effect on your relationahip with them and maybe they'll reconsider when they realise how much it'll bother you. The co council planning pages show objections that have been lodged for specific applications. Overlooking someones house is taken very seriously I think.

If you built one then they surely have the right to do the same and they have the same planning exemption available to them that you did. If they stay within the 40sq m limits they wont even need to apply for permission and you will have nothing to object to, I can see how you could stop them.

my self and my neighbour have built 40 sq mtre extensions already onto the rear of our houses in the last 5 years. so thus have already used our planning exemption. they would have 25sq mtrs left after they build additional sun room. if it comes to it do you think they would get planning ..

From the origonal post they have already used their exemption.

Sorry, I took the question worng. If they have used their exemption already you would have a good case but I suppose it depends on the size of the extension and what is left of the garden afterwards. If there are lots of objections then you could probably stop them but the workings of the planners are not always easy to understand.

Hi

We live in semi -detached in dublin city. My neigbour has said they are proposing to build a sunroom to the rear of there house.

i am of course not happy with this as it will block all my evening sun and obstruct light into my built extension.

can i object and on what grounds, would have a case

as i really conerned it would leave our home very closed in

When it comes to planning it is really in the lap of the Gods and it could go either way. I would be more concerned with the relationship between you and your neighbour going forward. If you succeed in getting the sun room stopped then you have made an enemy. Is it worth it to have an enemy next door rather than a neighbour? Remember, you will have to live next to this man/woman for a very long time. I would prefer to have a friend next door than extra sunlight. But that is just me...

My mam and dad's next door neighbours applied for a 2 storey extension and were granted permission. My parents were not happy as it has quite an effect on their garden. But like some replies recommend, they did not object because they didn't want to fall out with the neighbours. The neighbours stayed living there for about 4 years after the extension and sold and moved last year.

It's a very tricky one. Myself I was annoyed that they didn't object as I felt that the neighbours didn't take my parents feelings into consideration or worry that they might be offending a neighbour. Though even if you nicely try to explain that you are going to object I'm sure it won't go down too well. Sorry I haven't given a solution but just maybe pointing out that if you don't object and they get it you might end up permanently bitter every time you look at the extension. Not to mention the effect on your own house value.

It sounds like a very awkward situation. At the same time you can't bury your head and ignore it. First off I would talk to the neighbours and tell them about your concerns. Personally my home is my castle and I am an absolute dependent on good light into my rooms - if that was in threat I would do what I could to stop it.

Talk first to the neighbours. Calmly explain your worries and the effect it will have on your living circumstances. That way they will at least respect that you have been open and reasonable with them. If you are going to put in a planning objection do let them know....

Good luck!!

I wouldn't be overly worried about the effect it would have on your relationship with the neighbours because by planning an extension that would intrude on your sunlight and block light to your own extension they have not taken your feelings into consideration effectively firing the first shot. By objecting your are only responding to their lack of consideration.

But it the problem the OP have might not be that obvious to the people building the Sunroom

As mentioned above you don't know how long neighbours will stay in the house so I don't think you should not complain based on your relationship with them. The relationship is already soured once they build the thing anyway. I recently advised a family member on a similar situation and they complained and in retrospect are very glad they did. Look at it this way, assuming they know the impact it'll have on you, they are expecting you to make a sacrifice in not complaining. Be complaining you are merely asking to maintain the status quo.

I do think its worth giving them the benefit of the doubt and talking to them about it first in case they don't realise the impact on you. Then, blame it on someone else - say you have an architect/engineer friend who visited your house and pointed out the negative effect their proposed build would have on you and your property value so you're very sorry but you've no choice but to complain about it.

Can't see why you would objec tif you've already built an extnesion - surely they were annoyed when you started building? Anyway if it's less that 40sqm there's no requirement for planning permission.

Can't see why you would objec tif you've already built an extnesion - surely they were annoyed when you started building? Anyway if it's less that 40sqm there's no requirement for planning permission.
Pay closer attention when you read the original post.

Back