Summons for no Tax

mister mac

Due in court next week regarding non payment of fine for having no tax on car.

Basically put taxing of car on long finger, got stopped by guard, done for no tax, Fine came in post, Put this on long finger and then summons arrived to appear in court. Accept full responsibility for messy situation.
The vehicle was taxed week After I got stopped and back taxed to end of previous tax disk.

My question is what kind of punishment can I expect from judge on the day. Obviously I will have to pay original fine plus some extra id imagine for wasting Guards and courts time, but how much I wonder??

Also would it be better to have a Solicitor present or is it ok to just represent myself and admit my guilt, apologise to all concerned and bring receipt of tax and back tax paid to Co. Council. And will it appear in paper?

Worried procrastinator!!:confused:

I think that as you have paid the back tax that it would be a waste of money to hire a Solicitor.
If you are confident enough to state your case do so. Going on what happens in Dublin You will probably have the summons for no tax struck out and may have to pay a fine for having no tax displayed. ( I presume you got a summons for each)
If the Judge asks you what your wage is keep it as low as possible as the Judge may give a fine based on your earnings.
Be as apologetic and respectful as possible and you may come out o.k.
Also see the Guard before the court and show him/her where you have back taxed the car. It will go in your favour

Hedy-Mister mac, good luck with your situation. Can I ask what was the initial fine for not displaying tax disc? I was a month out of date and got pulled by parking fines guy. I was on hols for a couple of weeks and forgot. Within an hour I went online and paid up the arrears etc.. Really sticky situation but rules are rules I suppose. Prob expect a hefty fine..?

Back