Suggest a One Night Luxury Getaway

SOM42

Hi all,
We are finally going to leave Jnr in the hands of a babysitter for one night this month. We are looking for a luxury one night break within say 2 hours of Dublin. Only criteria is that there is a good restaurant and nice accomodation. We are not too worried about a specific location or golf/spa etc though a pool would be nice. The Marriot Druids Glen and the Sheraton Athlone come to mind but would be grateful for any other suggestions!

try the seafield in Ballymoney - the spa is gorgeous and the food is beautiful.

no affiliation

Do a search, saw something similar to this thread a while ago.

Rathsallagh House. Excellent for winding down for one night when you've escaped from the kids. Very close to Dublin - yet far enough away! Last time we managed to get a babysitter lined up and went there it was late afternoon before we escaped so having a very convenient location near Dublin was a bonus

[broken link removed]

Ok, you did say luxury, so why not the Ritz Carlton in Powercourt. They do a "special" of a suite and dinner in Gordon Ramsay's restaurant for €445.00. I did it recently and can thoroughly recommend it..

I would also recommend Seafield as another poster has done .....

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions folks. Others are welcome! The Seafield looks pretty good. Don't know if I could justify the Ritz at the Powerscourt. Probably end up spending €500 for one night! Also remember reading a less than favourable review of the restaurant. I've played golf so often in Rathsallagh that it wouldn't feel particularly special. BertHouse also looks like a contender.

try the seafield in Ballymoney - the spa is gorgeous and the food is beautiful.

no affiliation

Stayed here a few months back. Very quiet (midweek off season) while we were there. Had the pool and the outdoor hot tub to ourselves. Upgraded to a suite which was very nice and the food was delicious. (As were the cocktails!) A few minutes stroll to the beach too.

Also check out www.wineport.ie Have stayed twice. Once early in the year and again in the height of the summer. Preferred it when it was quieter but still a fabulous place. If I were to choose between the 2 I'd pick Wineport Lodge. Splurge and get a suite with a wraparound balcony and chill out with a bottle of Tattinger!

Raddisson Farnham Estate near Cavan town is nice. Large spa and nice walks etc around the hotel

We just spent a weekend in the Amber Springs in Gorey and loved it.Very friendly staff,great rooms,great food and lovely pool and spa.

i heard the food wasnt great there but everyone is different !!! think ill book a meal there shortly !!!amber springs here we come!!

Brook Lodge is lovely but my favourite of any place I've been, inside and outside of Ireland, is The Heritage at Killenard.

Golf: championship course or par 3
Bowling: indoor green
Gym: as well equipped as I need it to be ;)
Spa: beautiful, highly recommend the Heritage Spa Experience, €60 for 3 hours
Walking: as much as you like around the track

Eating:
Arlington Room, upmarket hotel in restaurant
Slieve Bloom, bar food, nice but not quite substantial enough for dinner
Cocktail bar, afternoon tea - haven't tried it yet
Greens Restaurant, in the golf club, really nice food at good prices (imho!)
Golf Clubhouse bar, smaller menu than Greens with a few snacky things too,
Spike, coffee shop, handy for a light lunch
Pub, carvery lunch, not sure about evenings
Sol Oriens, Italian restaurant with decent well-priced food.

They do a "Heritage Break" for €170 per person sharing which is 1 night B&B & dinner in one of the restaurants.

I have no connection with The Heritage (but I can dream, can't I? ;) )

ROGANSTOWN http://www.roganstown.com/

highly recommended! the hotel is still in dublin/ swords BUT when you're there you feel like you're in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by green hills, a lake etc. it's a golf hotel, so that explains the green surroundings but the golf people aren't too much "in your face" like they are in other hotels. i stayed there twice. have a little toddler myself (20mths) and found it relaxing to know that im only a small drive away from her in case of an emergency and yet, being in a complete relaxed, chilled, wonderful place.

when you stay there you can use swimming pool and gym for free. they also offer massages (which i can highly recommend for any missus) and in general beauty treatments.

restaurant and bar is also great. the food used to be on an award level which unfortunately changed slightly due to new management. but haven't said that, the food is still above average in comparision to most four star hotels.

i can highly recommend their special offers, too.
1 Night B&B incl. Dinner & 1 Spa Treatment from €149 per person sharing.

the rooms are lovely as well by the way, if you care about it :D

Monat in Enniscorthy. The Ashdown or the Amber Springs Hotels in Gorey. The Ferrycarrig Hotel or Whites hotel in Wexford town.

Thanks for all the excellent suggestions folks. Decided to go for the Heritage in Killenard in the end.

Back