Subpoena to appear as witness in Romanian court. will cost more than I lost in scam.

Z

zoggsmeister

Hi guys.

I was wondering if someone could help me.

A few years back I fell victim to a scam on Ebay.

I reported the crime to the internet crime unit. They in turn contacted Interpol and finally I was contacted by an Irish detective. I gave him a statement which let to the arrest and trial of the perpetrators.

I have received 2 subpoenas over the last 18 months to appear in court in Romania.

As they were in Romanian I didn't understand so ignored them.

Recently I have received a subpoena in English. Its about 8 pages of legal stuff.

Does anyone know if I need to travel to Romania and will I be in trouble if I don't attend.

Baring in mind the cost of getting there will cost more than the scam.

Thanking you in advance.

Re: Subpoena.

Hi, why not contact the detective you gave the statement to he should be able to advise you.

Thanks SWALLOWS.Might do that.Wrote to the Romanian Embassy last week but still waiting for a reply.

there is nothing really to compel you to go. you are I take it only a witnesses and therfore if you don't goand give evidence the case concerning you will be struck out. you are entitled to your expenses,including travel,accomadation and loss of earnings. iam basing this our our legal system. how did you recieve these romanian documents was it by post, registered post, or hand delivered to you

there is nothing really to compel you to go. you are I take it only a witnesses and therfore if you don't goand give evidence the case concerning you will be struck out. you are entitled to your expenses,including travel,accomadation and loss of earnings. iam basing this our our legal system. how did you recieve these romanian documents was it by post, registered post, or hand delivered to you

In this country if you do not turn up when subpoenaed as a witness a bench warrant can be issued for your arrest. No idea about Romania but I would imagine that interpol would be unlikely to be looking for you. Best to seek advice from the Romanian authorities.

It was delivered by registered post.It said that I was entitled to a legal representative.Would be easier to go if the court was in Bucharest but its miles from the nearest airport.Think its closer to Sofia.Might ring the Embassy on Monday.
Thanks.

In this country if you do not turn up when subpoenaed as a witness a bench warrant can be issued for your arrest. No idea about Romania but I would imagine that interpol would be unlikely to be looking for you. Best to seek advice from the Romanian authorities.

HaHa.Might end up on Romanias most wanted.Will do that.
Thanks.

Re: Subpoena to appear as witness in Romanian court. will cost more than I lost in sc

What are the subpoenas for? What case do they want you to appear in and what evidence do they want you to present? Who is sending the subpoenas? Has the solicitor of the side who is calling you offered to pay your expenses?

The thing that bugs me is why they are saying you need a legal representative. Wouldnt think that a witness would need a legal representative as they would be appearing on behalf of a legal team and are not accussed of anything. Are you being called as a witness or are you being accussed of anything?

Need this information to determine if it is likely to be bogus.

Re: Subpoena to appear as witness in Romanian court. will cost more than I lost in sc

It might be another scam run by travel agents? :)

See if there is any way of filing your evidence by affidavit rather than by attending in person.

Brendan

Agree woth csirl. Be careful about going out there, especially if they are suggesting you should have legal representation. You might find yourself joined in the proceedings rather than being just a witness. Our ( English-based ) common law system for all it's imperfections offers far more protection to defendants/accused persons than do the various continental systems.

Also Irish legal procedure includes hearing evidence by commisson. More often used for Irish cases where a witness too ill to attend court. Commissioner appointed to hear evidence ( traditionally the most junior barrister on the circuit ). Witness examined and cross examined in the usual way, the commissioner noting the evidence taken.

I have been involved in hearings of evidence by commission in Ireland as part of a case running in the UK. You could enquire of the lawyer seeking your attendance if they can arrange to have your evidence heard on commission.

You should be able to claim it back from the court on the day. Just keep all the receipts.

I was a witness in a case in Hungary a couple of years and once I was able to produce the receipts, the Judge approved the expenses the same day.

What part of Romania is it?

Back