Subdividing Land

pooky

Hi - I have an old cottage on 1 acre. I want to subdivide the property into two .5 acre plots. The cottage and plot would be sold as a renovation project and I would retain the other .5 acre plot. Is this possible and what kind of legal shenanigans would I need to undertake? Many thanks for any advice

You just need an original OS or Land Registry map marked by an engineer with the subdivided plots. Then you can either apply for one part to have a new folio, or you can just sell the cottage and plot, retaining the other part. It's very straightforward.

If you mean plot as site as in suitable for building -

Depending on where you are councils have different minimum area needed for any new house so you might need more than a 1/2 acre to get permission for a new house. Also you might need to show housing need for the new house.

Best bet would be to apply for permission for new house with the new house and all necessary facilities contained within the 1/2 acre. Then apply to reinstate and renovate the cottage. Then sell the cottage with permission.

Back