Structural Engineers report

Finlandia

HI

We had a valuation done on a house we are buying which is 20 years, the report does not recommend a structural report however would you advise us to get one done anyway to cover ourselves if anything does show up after we have bough it TIA

Read this as a lay persons opinion.

Have you had any building survey done? They would pick up some things that you might miss. However they tend to be at least 50% generic content, and lots of things you'll already know.

An engineers report will have some many caveats in it that there's nothing really to cover you. They can only base opinion on what's visible / accessible.

The vast majority of buyers will have a survey completed. I'd imagine engineers reports are only done where necessary.

In terms of cost. Survey will be 300 - 400. Engineers report will be well over 1,000.

Hi RedOnion

We only had a valuation done and they didn't recommend any report, i think i should have said a survey instead of structural report as the price seem more in line with what i was thinking. I think for the sake of 300 - 400 it would be wise to have the survey done, just wondered if anyone else was in the same boat who may or may not have had it done.

Thanks again

Ah, it would be considered normal to have a survey done, and highly recommended.
They'll do things like check roof timbers for woodworm, moisture content, etc.

Most likely they'll only confirm things you already know, but it gives peace of mind on the off chance you've missed something major.

Most likely they'll only confirm things you already know, but it gives peace of mind on the off chance you've missed something major.

Agreed, if you know how to go about looking for signs of issues such as damp, woodworm, etc., you'll most likely spot anything one of these non-invasive surveys will pick up.

Back