Strong smell of oil after the heating is on

milly123

Hi,

Any ideas what is causing this. There is strong lingering smell of oil after we turn off the heating. Also is it a regular plumber who services oil boilers ?

Thanks,

M

It would be best if you get the boiler serviced by the sounds of things.

previous threads might give some recommendation.

If you can smell oil at the boiler then 100% there is some sort of leakage.

Could be from any number of places (ie. fittings, fire valve, filterbowl, flexi oil pipe, or on the burner espcially if it's a riello g3b could be front the hydraulic lifter)

Get a good oil serviceman (look for Oftec approved)

What part of the country are you in? maybe know someone in your area

Also, you should really get your boiler services every 12 months

this is happening to me too...

altho i mite add in my case it is a new boiler, only about 4 months old. had the heating off over the summer (getting thrifty!!), turned it on a few hours over the last week and it stinks!! - If I get the guy that installed it back again, will i have to pay him ,will do if needs be but really annoyed that it hasn't worked properly since he installed the new one....:mad:

this is happening to me too...

altho i mite add in my case it is a new boiler, only about 4 months old. had the heating off over the summer (getting thrifty!!), turned it on a few hours over the last week and it stinks!! - If I get the guy that installed it back again, will i have to pay him ,will do if needs be but really annoyed that it hasn't worked properly since he installed the new one....:mad:

You shouldn't have to pay. When you turn on boiler a pump pressurises the oil into the burner injecters. If there is a tiny leak before the pump comes on there will be a much bigger leak when the pumps kicks in. Have a look at your burner for any signs of oil spillage.

This happened to my parents last Christmas. If you only just got a delivery of oil or only run it a few times since getting a fill then it is possible that they delivered kerosene instead of diesel. by the time we discovered what had happened the burner was toast. Smell was terrible more smoke too and did not sound like it was burning well

This happened to my parents last Christmas. If you only just got a delivery of oil or only run it a few times since getting a fill then it is possible that they delivered kerosene instead of diesel. by the time we discovered what had happened the burner was toast. Smell was terrible more smoke too and did not sound like it was burning well

haven't heard of diesel being use to heat homes - is it possible ? i though kerosene was the norm.

:)

Back