Strimmers

Marie117

1. Are all petrol Strimmer's started by cord pull? I can use the strimmer but not strong enough to start it by this method.
  2. I am not too keen on electric as very large space to keep under control.
  3. I also have a battery cordless strimmer 18v which works like a dream but not strong enough (like me!!) To do the job.
So what do you suggest apart from weight training to build muscle.
Do any of the more powerful Strummer's start with a button/key??

Last edited:
Hi, some strimmers do come with a touch start button (Ryobi Touch Start Petrol Strimmer as an example) - these aren't cheap, but quick web search will throw up some more options.

Recommend you call into a lawnmower shop and ask if they have any in stock. These can be a bit on the heavier side, in comparison to the electric models and also need to be maintained, petrol / oil / cleaning etc... at least you can have it in your hands to gauge the weight ( if the shop has one ).

As an aside - would it be possible to tackle the issue areas in relation to needing the strimmer? replanting / clearing / spraying etc.. so you have a long term solution to eliminate / reduce the need for strimming?

Thanks for that. I watched video but not sure as looks like a cord there but operator never pulls it. Are you saying that this easy star system starts when the various buttons are pressed an one does not have to use a cord? Thanks again

Thanks for that. I watched video but not sure as looks like a cord there but operator never pulls it. Are you saying that this easy star system starts when the various buttons are pressed an one does not have to use a cord? Thanks again

Yes, it's called a touch start because it starts using the buttons, if you watch the video again you can see it fire up when the buttons are pressed. I didn't notice the chord in the video but I'd imagine that's just a backup to the electric button start.

Hi, some strimmers do come with a touch start button (Ryobi Touch Start Petrol Strimmer as an example) - these aren't cheap, but quick web search will throw up some more options.

Recommend you call into a lawnmower shop and ask if they have any in stock. These can be a bit on the heavier side, in comparison to the electric models and also need to be maintained, petrol / oil / cleaning etc... at least you can have it in your hands to gauge the weight ( if the shop has one ).

As an aside - would it be possible to tackle the issue areas in relation to needing the strimmer? replanting / clearing / spraying etc.. so you have a long term solution to eliminate / reduce the need for strimming?
Thanks for that. I did go to a hire shop but they did not mention that option. I will visit a shop but was hoping for this easy start option on a lightish strimmer.
I am hoping that after this year things will be a bit more controlled but I think there will always be a need for a decent strimmer.

If you have a light strimmer and think that a heavy duty one is only needed now to bring it under control then would you not just get someone to do it this time and maintain it with the lighter electric strimmer. It would be a cheaper option

Yes, it's called a touch start because it starts using the buttons, if you watch the video again you can see it fire up when the buttons are pressed. I didn't notice the chord in the video but I'd imagine that's just a backup to the electric button start.
OK. Very helpful so thanks very much.
If you have a light strimmer and think that a heavy duty one is only needed now to bring it under control then would you not just get someone to do it this time and maintain it with the lighter electric strimmer. It would be a cheaper option
i think I will always need something stronger as there is 1.5 acres so over time I hope to do planting etc but it will probably take a few years.
Appreciate your replies and interest so thanks.

Take the cover off and remove the pull cord and spool. There will probably be a nut holding the pull cord spool to the strimmer. Drill a large hole in the case so that the nut that held the spool can be seen after you refit the cover. Then use a drill with a suitable socket attachment to start the strimmer.

like this mad fella but better to have the cover fitted so you dont get it wrapped around a strap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weyLW1Xo8KY

1.5 acres would test an electric one alright. Most of the cheaper ones will come with a poor quality strap/harness. You can get much better ones that go over both shoulders and will be more comfortable to use over longer periods.

Just to say thanks to all who replied to my post "Strimmers". I tried to reply on the original post but seemingly I can't reply as too new or something!!

Anyway, thanks all.

A word to joeysulley.
I so loved your post but trying to imagine my brother in law's face if I followed your advice -it was his strimmer I was experimenting on.
Also, I'm a 66 yr old female with arthritis so your idea might not be quite the thing for me. Still, reply appreciated.

Will look for a touch start machine and also notice there are more powerful battery ones coming on the market 56v so will look into this too. Anyone tried those??

Back