Streaks on glass in windows in new build

Rose

Does anyone know of a product that will remove streaks from the glass in the windows of a new build. have tried various glass cleaners and white spirit but to no avail. What causes these streaks, is it something that came from the plaster when the house was being plastered. I think its just on the outside of the windows but at other times I wonder is it inside the double glazing. Have looked at the other posts and I feel I have tried everything except the vinegar tip.

there are special blades yu can buy that may do the trick, usually get them in diy stores worth a try.

noah

Hi Rose

Plasterers usually mix some polybond into the plaster to create a waterproof finish. I agree with Noah, there is a special scraper (with replacement blade) for use on glass, that can be bought in any D.I.Y. shop, and that should do the trick in removing any plaster from your windows. Been there, done that.

Cheers

Justsally

I know its too late for you Rose............but does anyone know of anyone in the south east area of the country who covers newly fitted windows with protective plastic which can be stripped off once plastering/works are completed?

Thank you all for all the tips. Roundy I had suggested to the other half do just as you suggest but you know how it is, what would the wife know about such things, but he's learning. Next time I'm at the new house I will try all these tips and let you know how I get on.

@roundy

I am in Clare and got a company called Glazeguard to do what you are after. May have the same name where you are.

Or have a look out as you drive round, it is usually plastic with a blue tinge.

noah

@roundy

I am in Clare and got a company called Glazeguard to do what you are after. May have the same name where you are.

Or have a look out as you drive round, it is usually plastic with a blue tinge.

noah

I must have been mistaken all along but I always took it for granted that the windows were supplied with this blue covering on them and when all works were completed on the house then the blue plastic strip was removed?

Well have tried vinegar, mr muscle, and W5 on window but haven't had any success. When using vinegar it seemed like it was removing stain but once it dried streaks were still visible. The glass feels very smooth so its not anything that has stuck to it, hard to describe it really perhaps like a stain left on a bath from a tap left dripping over a period of time. Any more suggestions please.

I have a problem with silicone smears , the window installer told me to use "T Cut" ( I'm not sure of spelling) , its used to shine up cars . I have not got round to trying it out yet.

Pjq

I assume the stains are external and from your description I assume they are mortar stains. This will have been caused in my experience by rain water on newly applied but not fully cured external render washing down from the wall to the surface of the window and drying there, mostly occurs when propertys have been rendered without guttering being in place. As it is probably cement based then try brick mortar acid watered down as per instruction, altering the dilution strengh according to success.

Thank you for that legs-akimbo.
Please please does this stuff have a name or what do I ask for when i go to the shop, will I get it in a builders providers or a place like Homebase?
Rose

In the merchants ask for cem clean or in homebase you can buy path and patio mortar stain remover.

Thank you very much for that legs-akimbo, will get stuff and have another go at cleaning the glass. Will let you know how I get on.
Rose

Well got some stuff called Santrax (liquid) in the builders merchants and last week end the weather was favourable to doing a bit of work outside so I worked very hard at trying to get the glass clean but to no avail.
Anyone else have anymore tips, as it looks as if we will have to replace the glass in these windows as they really do look bad and even my neighbours agree. Another question, if the glass has to be replaced who is responsible for the cost of replacing it. Just be aware anyone using Santrax it really can affect the finish on the window cills so they need to be covered with something. Any help welcome.

Hi,
Had this problem 15 yrs ago when I built my house, patio door in gable was covered in marks, some like raindrops others like streak of water. Sad news is they couldn't be removed, explanation I got was that they were marks from where it probably rained after gable was plastered and the little splashes of plastery water stain the glass because cement contains some sort of acid and it actually etches the glass causing a permanent mark. Fast forward to 4 yrs ago when I built a sun room onto same gable, was able to get rid of patio door, because obviously there was going to be a lot of glass in this sun room I explained previous problem to the builder and told him I wanted the windows covered with plastic before plastering. He rubbished previous explanation I had been given and said there was not need to cover windows, he said he would get plasterer to clean windows immediately after plastering (it was dry weather so rain wasnt a problem). Anyway plasterer did clean windows straight after plastering but unfortunately cleaning windows with sponge and bucket of water which gets all gritty from plaster splashes didnt do windows much good either and I still got some of the same etched marks on the windows plus scratches from the grit. Very annoying especially in sun room as when sun shines through the windows it is very obvious, one of the windows had to be replaced by the window company because seal went and the difference between that clear new window and the existing ones just makes it worse. If I was building anything again I would cover the glass with plastic myself to protect it. Sorry cant give you any good news!

This damage on windows is Limescale, can be removed by a Glass Polisher, recomend company called scratch repair services.

Now I might be going out on a limb here but do you, by any chance, have any connection to the company you've recommended in recent threads?

beware of glass polishers as the process involves sanding the glass and can leave a blemish in the glass in the hands of inexperienced operators and in my experience they are all inexperienced as there is not enough of this work done in this country for them to gain the experience.

I know this is an old post but removing water / mortar stains is fairly simple if you have the right products. Ask an experienced window cleaner or go to a cleaning supplies company and source the right acid and follow the instructions.

Hi, know this is very old post but I have had several window cleaners since and every one of them told me it was not fixable?

Hi KerryG I have just re read your post and it doesnt sound like your problem is either mortar or water stains but scratched glass. There is a school of thought that you can fix scratched glass by highspeed sanding with a very fine circular sander a bit like how they repair scratches in a windscreen. I have not seen it done without blemishes being left so I dont reccomend it. A light scratch can be filled in with clear nail varnish and it will reduce the bad look but again it is still visable.

Water and mortar stains are a different thing, as glass is pourous any matter left on the glass longish term will penetrate the fabric of the glass and become an integral part of the glass. If you get to it reasonable quickly before it has a chance of bonding then a good acid will normally shift it but if it is left to weather (like a lot of half built houses now) then removal is no longer an option and glass replacement is the only solution.

I have come across buildings where window cills of Limestone have been used, looks great, but rain splashes off the cills up against the glass and over time leaves an almost permenant spatter effect that will become permenant if not dealt with, again an acid and lots of elbow grease will work but only if it is done in the first few years. Then fit a flashing to remedy the situation.

It sounds like yours has been there for a lot of years so you and your window cleaners are probably right that it cant be fixed.

Back