Stray animal/pet ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you point to the finders keepers section in Irish law?
Can you show me how the OP is not allowed to keep the cat?
And also, where the vet assumes the agency to keep the cat themselves? If you have a problem with the OP taking the cat then you must have a problem with the vet taking the cat..... or is that OK because they say they 'know the owner' (No proof of that)....

- before contacting the Gardai and going legal etc. etc. I really think you should try to resolve this amicably with the parties concerned. They cant as the vet as (unethically) interfered.

This cat always belonged to someone else. She was never yours. She was someone else's pet. Maybe not, and if so, where is the proof of other owbner, no microchip...

Two weeks is not a long time and I personally don't think you should have attempted to microchip the cat as belonging to you. Why not? If I go get a dog from the pound today its been there two weeks I can claim it and microchip it today if is has no other chip.

This may have been the vet's concern and explain what you describe as his/her highly suspicious behaviour. None of the vets business. They are there to put in the chip not decide who owns the cat. They cant not return a pet - who do t hey think threy are? Judge Judy?

I also think you should have been clear with your children that this was a "missing" cat. that you were just temporarily minding her and not to get attached.....after all, the real owner might also have children who love this cat. Maybe not. We will never know as the vet decided to go all Nancy Drew on us.

I highly doubt someone is now trying to steal her from you because it's pedigree. At €600 a kitten for some breeds theres a high possibility of this.

From my reading of your post, it appears to have been handled badly, but your (and your children's) emotions are clouding your judgement on this one. Nope, her cat at that point until proven otherwise.

What this shows is that you need cat in your life, so once it's all been cleared up, get a couple of kittens! She had one but the vet stole it.
[/QUOTE]

@ThisisMax The cat was perfectly happy until OP created this mess. Unless the cat was malnourished, seriously injured or in otherwise distress OP had no business feeding it thereby encouraging it to follow her home. OP should have left the cat be. It could have been handled better, but the vet did the right thing by reuniting the cat with it's rightful owner. You can't go around taking other people's pets.

Last edited:
Can you show me how the OP is not allowed to keep the cat?
This is a fundamental property issue and domestic animals are subject to ownership. Indeed wild animals can be subject to qualified property so long as they are kept in captivity.

The ownership of property is not extinguished if that property is mislaid or found in a public place. If I see your car on a public street I can't pretend you lost it and claim it as mine.

And also, where the vet assumes the agency to keep the cat themselves?
Of course a vet is not entitled to keep a cat for themselves, but I suspect it is highly unlikely that is the case here. Few vets would risk their reputation and livelihood by illegally selling stolen animals. They also should not indulge someone who is trying to claim ownership of someone else's animal via micro-chipping. They should have handled this a lot better and explained to the OP that they needed to try harder to identify the owner.

@ThisisMax The cat was perfectly happy until OP created this mess. Unless the cat was malnourished, seriously injured or in otherwise distress OP had no business feeding it thereby encouraging it to follow her home. OP should have left the cat be. It could have been handled better, but the vet did the right thing by reuniting the cat with it's rightful owner. You can't go around taking other people's pets.
[/QUOTE]
We dont know that. It might have been distressed. It might have been stolen, lost, injured, sick. Who knows? You don't and neither do I.
Anybody can feed, take an animal in thats straying, they can then report it, advertise it, put in pound and claim it once the time has elapsed.
We don't know that the vet found the rrightful owners - the vet is not the police - they can't make a judgement call as to who owns the animal, neither can they refuse to return. If I bring my dog in and its not chipped to me and they take it thats OK is it? Thats very odd.

This is a fundamental property issue and domestic animals are subject to ownership. Indeed wild animals can be subject to qualified property so long as they are kept in captivity.

The ownership of property is not extinguished if that property is mislaid or found in a public place. If I see your car on a public street I can't pretend you lost it and claim it as mine.

Of course a vet is not entitled to keep a cat for themselves, but I suspect it is highly unlikely that is the case here. Few vets would risk their reputation and livelihood by illegally selling stolen animals. They also should not indulge someone who is trying to claim ownership of someone else's animal via micro-chipping. They should have handled this a lot better and explained to the OP that they needed to try harder to identify the owner.

Of course a vet is not entitled to keep a cat for themselves - Thats the crux of it. Really thats it.

Last edited by a moderator:
We dont know that. It might have been distressed. It might have been stolen, lost, injured, sick. Who knows? You don't and neither do I.
Anybody can feed, take an animal in thats straying, they can then report it, advertise it, put in pound and claim it once the time has elapsed.
We don't know that the vet found the rrightful owners - the vet is not the police - they can't make a judgement call as to who owns the animal, neither can they refuse to return. If I bring my dog in and its not chipped to me and they take it thats OK is it? Thats very odd.

It. Wasn't. Their. Cat.

This isn't hard.

(And the vet was fully within their rights to react cautiously, especially when the cat was presented for microchipping.

It's a serious issue for any professional practice to set themselves up as even an unwitting accessory to theft.)

Of course a vet is not entitled to keep a cat for themselves - Thats the crux of it. Really thats it.
According to the OP they didn't keep it so all is well.

A vet is under no obligation to return an animal to someone they know is not the owner.

[/QUOTE]

We do know that.

OP said the cat was friendly - not in distress, injured, or malnourished.

OP returned to the same place (i.e. the cat's home) the next day with food.

OP fed the cat which then "followed" her home.

OP kept the cat for two weeks (probably indoors).

OP then tried to microchip the cat as belonging to her.

OP effectively stole this cat.

The vet was right to return the cat to its owner and OP was dead wrong in what she did.

OK, so @kroker
I read your thread again and asked a friend who is involved with Veterinary Council. She advised to talk to the Veterinary Council in Dublin.
So I rang them.
So, they said, they can't adjudicate until they see the response from the vet. They did suggest below:
https://www.vci.ie/getmedia/298bc7a6-c6a6-4942-b9ed-d6588cfcfa07/VCI_Code_of_Conduct_Report_2021-(WEB).pdf
You should now make a formal complaint, saying that it is a formal complaint.
Ask for a response in writing.
You should ask them for the rationale for their behaviour.
To explain how they decided there was a new owner.
What steps they took to establish that it was a new owner in the absence of microchip or vaccination record.
To explain why they did not adequately respond to your valid concerns in a timely manner.
Why they did not show you proof and have you meet the new owner to hand over the cat.

If you are not satisfied with their response you should then refer your complaint in writing to the Veterinary Council.

I suggest you do this and it would be interesting to see the outcome. To me it appears they are in breach of the charter in several areas.

According to the OP they didn't keep it so all is well.

A vet is under no obligation to return an animal to someone they know is not the owner.
We dont know what the vet did, (smoke and mirrors a bit) and thats an inescapable fact that is problematic for your argument Leo.

We dont know what the vet did, (smoke and mirrors a bit) and thats an inescapable fact that is problematic for your argument Leo.
Your claim that the vet conspired with their staff to steal a customer's cat is frankly ridiculous.

We do know that.

OP said the cat was friendly - not in distress, injured, or malnourished.

OP returned to the same place (i.e. the cat's home) the next day with food.

OP fed the cat which then "followed" her home.

OP kept the cat for two weeks (probably indoors).

OP then tried to microchip the cat as belonging to her.

OP effectively stole this cat.

The vet was right to return the cat to its owner and OP was dead wrong in what she did.
[/QUOTE]

'probably indoors'.....maybe not but it helps your narrative.

(i.e. the cat's home) .... you dont know that.

If someones cat was gone missing in an area do you not think they would have gone looking and seeing as its a distinctive cat it would be pretty easy to match lost & found.

OP effectively stole this cat------ thats quite the allegation there....

At this stage it might be useful/interesting to get some further info/feedback from the original poster (@kroker) but, to date, they only have a single post on Askaboutmoney - the one that kicked off this thread...

No offence intended but a few posters here could do with learning how to use the quote feature properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back