Stray animal/pet ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.

kroker

We just a really upsetting experience with a well known veterinarian practice .

This (well known) veterinarian clinic took our cat in for spaying and microchipping and refused to return our cat. Claiming instead, that they've found the 'real' owners of the cat.

We have reason to doubt this however, because (we suspect) the cat happens to be a pedigree cat, and therefore of more value than just another stray cat. Also the vet's behaviour leading up to the incident was highly suspicious.

The details of what happened are as follows:

We found a very friendly cat in the streets, we petted the cat, spent some time with her but went on our way eventually. A day later, we found the cat in the same spot and hungry so we bought some food for her. The cat was never seen with a collar, if that makes any difference.

She followed us home. In two days, we took the cat to the vet (The same ones who later took away our pet) in order to check for microchips and she didnt have any. They said, in their own words, they tried "three different scanners and none of them revealed a chip.

In the meantime, we scoured social media for reports of a missing cat, walked around the neighbourhood looking for 'missing cat' signs without success. The kids had taken a liking to her (adults too) so we decided to keep her.

(Its worth noting that we have no inclination for a pedigree cat specifically. We just like cats)

We booked an appointment with this vet to microchip her in a couple of weeks. The vets did not microchip her on the spot, claiming that its "too painful" and to bring her in the next day instead. (We mentioned this to someone who deals with such matters and she said that doesnt sound right. They could have just microchipped her)

We dropped the cat off the next morning with the agreement that the cat would be returned to us by the afternoon as is normally to be expected.

The vets didnt say anything about 'finding' the 'real' owners at this point. By the afternoon however, we got a call from them saying that, in the intervening hours the real owners had 'come forward' and they were going to 'return' the cat to this mysterious person.

When we asked what evidence they had, all they could say was that this person apparently had a photo of a similar looking cat.
There were no vaccination records, the cat wasn't microchipped (the cat was 2 years old as estimated by the vets themselves previously)

We were extremely distressed and had made it clear that we do not consent for the cat to be taken away but the vets refused.

They even kept our cat carrier which we used to drop the cat off in. (this post isnt about the carrier however, .... we dont care much about that) We never got to see the cat again.

The whole incident has left us extremely shaken (Not to mention this has affected our children who are still, a week later upset) and we're shocked as to how a veterinarian practice here can operate with such brazen disregard for basic human decency. Much less appoint themselves judge and jury as to who an unchipped cat should go to.

A couple of things to mention :
1. I completely understand the cat never belonged to us. However, the point of contention from myself is that it doesnt belong to the vets either.
2. Even if we are to believe the vet's side of the story (that the cat is with the original owner), that still doesnt give the vets any authority to hand the cat over. I never got to see any evidence that the cat went to its rightful owner. Having cared for the cat for 2 weeks I think I should deserve to see that. But strangely, the vets are being quite cagey about the whole thing. And regardless, I dont see why I should pay the vet's account without any question.
3. I understand one needs to have in possession for "1 year plus 1 day" to claim as their own, but again, the contention is that the cat was not with the vet for that long either.

What recourse do we have? Can we bring it up with small claims?

Hi,

Sorry to hear about this incident.

As cats are renowned for having many homes it will be very hard for you to claim ownership without any microchipping registered to you. Perhaps if you contact the local warden and see what advice they can give you.

As the cat has not been microchipped to you I cannot see any reason why you would have to pay the bill. I would also insist on getting the carrier back because as you say it is yours and they had no right to keep it. You may also decide to get another cat so you may need it in the future.

You did not purchase the cat and you are not the registered owner so how could you bring a claim to the Small Claims Court?

Assuming the "real" owner has been identified, I think this has been handled very poorly by both the vet and the owner.

If I was reunited with my lost cat I would be overjoyed, thanking you profusely and probably offering you a big reward!

It would be good if you could see this past photo of the cat and I think if possible you need to meet the owner - you will get a good sense if he/she is genuine.

If they are genuine, they will have no problem meeting you, giving you regular updates on how the cat is doing and even letting your kids come to say goodbye, and also maybe to visit once in a while.

If not, then you need to consider what to do next.

However your story really proves the point that cats don't have owners, they own themselves and we are merely their slaves!

What recourse do we have? Can we bring it up with small claims?
I'm a bit confused.
If you were to go to the Small Claims Court what specific issue(s?) would you be trying to get dealt with and against whom?

Extraordinary behaviour on the part of this Vet. They must have contacted the so-called previous owners, otherwise how would the 'owners' have even known about "their" cat. I would consider this to border on professional misconduct. A vet should not distribute a client's or patient's information to third parties. This is dreadfully unethical.
The Veterinary Council of Ireland has a Complaints procedure - https://www.vci.ie/Complaints-Procedures. Perhaps they could help you and even reunite you with your cat.

@kroker perhaps you can clarify if you actually paid any money over to the vet and whether they have returned the carrier (was it expensive?)

PS Microchipping is in no way painful and can be done on the spot. Again, this disinformation is unprofessional on the part of this vet.
Sounds to me as though they just wanted to hang on to the cat until the other party turned up.
Extraordinarily unethical - Complain to the Veterinary Council asap.
I would even go as far as to say complain to the Gardai that your property (ie expensive, purebreed cat, not the carrier) has not been returned by this Veterinary Practice and quote your Garda Complaint Reference Number to the Veterinary Council.

It’s worth reporting to the Gardai. It’s a form of theft.

The story about finding the real owner sounds implausible given that your prior extensive efforts didn’t have any success. 10 minutes with the vet though and, hey presto, case closed. They have a match that “looks like” the missing cat.

That added to the painful microchip claim makes the found owner theory sound very bogus. I’d certainly report the vet at a minimum.

Reactions: POC
But maybe the cat owners had contacted all local veterninary practices when their cat went missing and maybe when the cat was brought in the second time the vet had the info about the missing cat, just maybe!

I've read all this story before and the many permutations and answers given!

Why were you getting it microchipped if you didn't own it?

Presumably their reason for not microchipping it the first day was because they thought that they knew who the owners were.

It is very unlikely that this vet stole the cat and sold it on to someone else.

So the most plausible explanation is that the vet is telling the truth.

It is very bad manners that they were not open with you.

But they might have been afraid that you would go off with the cat and they would never see you again.

Brendan

From your perspective the vet sounds like he is behaving unprofessionally. The minimum you would expect is openness and frankness. The other stuff he is doing makes it all sound really dodgy, but I would think he is not stealing a pedigree cat to give to a buddy as the cat has no papers. Bizarre, but I would chalk it down to a life experience, never recommend that vet and move on.

@kroker - before contacting the Gardai and going legal etc. etc. I really think you should try to resolve this amicably with the parties concerned.

This cat always belonged to someone else. She was never yours. She was someone else's pet.

Two weeks is not a long time and I personally don't think you should have attempted to microchip the cat as belonging to you.

This may have been the vet's concern and explain what you describe as his/her highly suspicious behaviour.

I also think you should have been clear with your children that this was a "missing" cat. that you were just temporarily minding her and not to get attached.....after all, the real owner might also have children who love this cat.

I highly doubt someone is now trying to steal her from you because it's pedigree.

From my reading of your post, it appears to have been handled badly, but your (and your children's) emotions are clouding your judgement on this one.

What this shows is that you need cat in your life, so once it's all been cleared up, get a couple of kittens!

You admit the cat is not yours - have good reason to believe that and were acting in good faith. All good.
Vet decides not to microchip for whatever reason - vet has no grounds to say no to microchip, they could have done it or you could have gone somewhere else. Strange on vets behalf.
Vet then decides to keep cat - they can't do that - its now yours - was a stray and you claimed it. So they cannot keep it. They cannot police who does & does not own the cat. You had it, brought it in and now they wont return. They say they know the real owner...so if so how do they prove that? Its not microchipped? If it was they would have an owner and vaccination records. So how did they qualify the new owner as legit? If thjey cant answer that then they should admit its none of their business and hand back the cat (it was yours at that point as not claimed). IF they DID know who the owner was then they should have told you, asked for your permission to share your contact details and asked the owner to negotiate with you. You sound reasonable and it would have ended well....Highly odd on behalf of vet and I'd enquire/ complain wih vet practice.

Coincidentally a vet friend of mine got a pedigree kitten from the practice she works in ' surrendered'... its a British Blue worth around €600 as a kitten....so thats odd too eh?

- before contacting the Gardai and going legal etc. etc. I really think you should try to resolve this amicably with the parties concerned. They cant as the vet as (unethically) interfered.

This cat always belonged to someone else. She was never yours. She was someone else's pet. Maybe not, and if so, where is the proof of other owbner, no microchip...

Two weeks is not a long time and I personally don't think you should have attempted to microchip the cat as belonging to you. Why not? If I go get a dog from the pound today its been there two weeks I can claim it and microchip it today if is has no other chip.

This may have been the vet's concern and explain what you describe as his/her highly suspicious behaviour. None of the vets business. They are there to put in the chip not decide who owns the cat. They cant not return a pet - who do t hey think threy are? Judge Judy?

I also think you should have been clear with your children that this was a "missing" cat. that you were just temporarily minding her and not to get attached.....after all, the real owner might also have children who love this cat. Maybe not. We will never know as the vet decided to go all Nancy Drew on us.

I highly doubt someone is now trying to steal her from you because it's pedigree. At €600 a kitten for some breeds theres a high possibility of this.

From my reading of your post, it appears to have been handled badly, but your (and your children's) emotions are clouding your judgement on this one. Nope, her cat at that point until proven otherwise.

What this shows is that you need cat in your life, so once it's all been cleared up, get a couple of kittens! She had one but the vet stole it.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
The cat should make a protected disclosure under GDPR. Its personal data appears to have been shared with a number of third parties without its consent. The Data Protection Commissioner, Helen Dixon, is likely to have kittens when she hears this sorry tale.

The cat should make a protected disclosure under GDPR. Its personal data appears to have been shared with a number of third parties without its consent. The Data Protection Commissioner, Helen Dixon, is likely to have kittens when she hears this sorry tale.
Don't be such a pussy !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back