Strange thing happening to text messages

Stitcher

Hi, I have a new work colleague today with a Hungarian mobile number that I have called him on (in Hungary) over the past months. He is now in Ireland and still using his mobile until he gets an Irish sim. Today I got a number of legitimate texts from him (he got lost and was late for an appointment) but they came in on a different number. I thought maybe he was using a friend's phone. But he never got my replies. I phoned the number and it came up as Zambia so I hung up straight away. All his legitimate texts to me come in with a different Zambian number, and he also never got my replies to them. Any idea what's going on there? He gets my texts if I text him directly on the correct number but his reply comes in on a different number from Zambia.

Did I compromise my phone by ringing one of the Zambian numbers but hanging up straight away?

Tell him to get an Irish SIM.

Country dial code for Zambia: +260
Country dial code for Hungary: +36

it's hard to see how it might be associated with "finger trouble".

Hi, I have a new work colleague today with a Hungarian mobile number that I have called him on (in Hungary) over the past months. He is now in Ireland and still using his mobile until he gets an Irish sim. Today I got a number of legitimate texts from him (he got lost and was late for an appointment) but they came in on a different number. I thought maybe he was using a friend's phone. But he never got my replies. I phoned the number and it came up as Zambia so I hung up straight away. All his legitimate texts to me come in with a different Zambian number, and he also never got my replies to them. Any idea what's going on there? He gets my texts if I text him directly on the correct number but his reply comes in on a different number from Zambia.

Did I compromise my phone by ringing one of the Zambian numbers but hanging up straight away?
Had similar issues with people sending txt message from countries like Germany, France, Austria - both my messages on their phone or their messages on my phone showing up with random phone numbers (+260 not unusual).
I blame the Irish mobile phone networks not adhering to standards (I have no evidence though)!

Are you and/or he using an iPhone by any chance?
I just wonder if it could be some iMessage BS going on.

Just to clarify, each new text from him came in with a different number from Zambia, I think there were four different numbers in all. Weird.

I was wondering what iMessage is; it doesn't appear in the iOS App Store
iMessage is the standard iOS internet messaging service which on other types of phones is SMS.

Edit: It only works between Apple OS devices though and is symbolised by a blue coloured message bubble in the message stream.

Last edited:
or perhaps the SMS apps not obeying the rules?
Well, it would rather be on OS level (eg SmsManager API when talking about Android) then rather the actual app, which would be surprising albeit not impossible given it is software of course. Android APIs are tested quite well though In general.
My guess would be telco’s using the cheapest gateway provider(s) for international messaging, meaning there’s probably several hops via occasionally sub-par service providers and sub contractors and there you are then. RFC5724 is only some 10 years old so not everyone might have “upgraded”…

iMessage is the standard iOS internet messaging service which on other types of phones is SMS.
There is no such app on Apple's App Store.

If you are referring to Messages, this is an Apple app whose purpose is to exchange encrypted messages privately amongst and between Apple devices.

Use generic messaging apps to exchange messages with Apple and non-Apple devices, preferrably the same app or apps compliant with the same standard.

If you are referring to Messages, this is an Apple app whose purpose is to exchange encrypted messages privately amongst and between Apple devices.

Use generic messaging apps to exchange messages with Apple and non-Apple devices, preferrably the same app or apps compliant with the same standard.

It sounds like his phone has been compromised. There’s someone in Zambia interfering with his traffic.

I don't know what your point is.

Of course there isn't-it's an embedded app on Apple devices.
Those messages are iMessages unless sent between an Apple device and a non-Apple device then they're SMS.

Neither phones were iPhone. I suppose his text had to go back to the Hungarian provider then come here to my Irish number so perhaps it got mis directed?
My guess would be telco’s using the cheapest gateway provider(s) for international messaging, meaning there’s probably several hops via occasionally sub-par service providers and sub contractors and there you are then. RFC5724 is only some 10 years old so not everyone might have “upgraded”…
That sounds like a feasible explanation rather than the numbers being a scam but you never know. Thanks for all the comments and commentary.

Back