Stove to suit Victorian fireplace

jaykay

I have a nice fireplace in the sitting room with tiles and cast iron hood. Would like to install a small stove, without cutting the hood or the tiles. Are there any freestanding stoves small enough for that? And would the old chimney even suit a stove?
Attached a few pics with similar fireplace and stove installed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240131-204734.png
    Screenshot_20240131-204734.png
    528.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20240131-204541.png
    Screenshot_20240131-204541.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
I researched the same thing last year as my fireplace is a similar if fake version! There is a thing called a Hobbit stove which is tiny and meant to fit in these, however I never saw one in reality and based on the inset ones I saw (where I would have to lose the middle bit of fireplace) the smaller ones have a tiny space inside for logs etc so not very practical. Based on the size of that Hobbit stove I can only but imagine the inside must be tiny too.

The other option given to me was to put the stove outside the fireplace as such and just leave the fireplace behind it with pipe up chimney but that would have involved extending out the hearth to required distance per regs which in the small room I have would just take up too much space. If you had a big enough room that would probably be easiest solution. Something like attached pic, not mine, just from a house I saw lately on Daft. I don't really like it as an option but if one really wanted to keep the fireplace!

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 15
You need an inset stove sized to fit a 16 inch opening. If you are really attached to your iron backplate fair enough but there are not a lot of small stoves designed for this use - cutting the top of the stove is not unusual in these cases.
I have a pre-ecodesign Henley Achill 6.6kw - I think there might be a new ecodesign version (https://henleystoves.com/product/achill-6-6kw/). Its one of their smaller stoves and they did slice off the end trims of the cast iron - it does look nice still though.original living room.jpgstove new.jpg

That's interesting! Nobody gave me that option when I was looking! Is the space for logs in that a decent size? That was my biggest problem when looking at the smaller ones as I'm not going chopping the logs smaller :rolleyes:

That's interesting! Nobody gave me that option when I was looking! Is the space for logs in that a decent size? That was my biggest problem when looking at the smaller ones as I'm not going chopping the logs smaller :rolleyes:
I can get about 4 logs into it, and there's great heat off it, as you can see from the photo, there is no wet CH system, so currently this is my primary heating for the moment, and it does work.

I can get about 4 logs into it, and there's great heat off it, as you can see from the photo, there is no wet CH system, so currently this is my primary heating for the moment, and it does work.
Think I'll be going back with copy of that up close pic to ask about this option! Did you get an all in one type company to install it or just buy the stove and get someone to do it? The quotes I got initially were too high for my liking so think I would prefer just buy the thing and get it installed.

Should have added that I'm using 25cm logs (which is typical standard). Henley are here (they are Irish) - https://henleystoves.com/product-category/insert-cassette/
Obviously there are lots of other companies, Woodford, Stovax but Henley do show the diagrams and measurements of their insets which should give you an idea which might fit into a 16 inch opening (the Achill which is 396mm wide will just about slide in). I'm sure if you fish for the same info on other sites and look for insets you'll find others.
Can give you the name of the company who fitted it if you DM me.

Think I'll be going back with copy of that up close pic to ask about this option! Did you get an all in one type company to install it or just buy the stove and get someone to do it? The quotes I got initially were too high for my liking so think I would prefer just buy the thing and get it installed.
I went all in one - yes it was expensive but I had a few repairs to the chimney also and an old broken propane fueled gas fire to remove which they did also - price in a flexible flue for 900 euro and allow around 1200 for the stove - installation on top of that should be around 500-700. Depends what you need but for me it was far cheaper and more effective than than the options I had at the time as effectively I had no working heating system.

So you do mean the fire logs like the manufactured type? I meant logs of actual timber, I bulk buy them and I know most of them would not have fit in the smaller stoves I looked at. Will have to go out and research again I'd say.

I went all in one - yes it was expensive but I had a few repairs to the chimney also and an old broken propane fueled gas fire to remove which they did also - price in a flexible flue for 900 euro and allow around 1200 for the stove - installation on top of that should be around 500-700. Depends what you need but for me it was far cheaper and more effective than than the options I had at the time as effectively I had no working heating system.
My quote was 3,500 around this time last year, too much for me for something that I only use for max 5 months of year and a bit mindful of the fact too that bending down to that fire might not be an indefinite thing! I know we had to replace my Dad's gas fire with a remote controlled one when he couldn't get down on bended knee anymore after a hip op to turn it on.

Henley are marketed as made in county Kerry.
Thats all very well ... but they are made in China.
I would only buy quality Scandinavian stove brands, that are cast-iron.

lol, not far from me and the only supplier I did not call too when pricing around!

From memory, its a long time since there was an iron forge in Kerry or Waterford!

There're all cast iron and pretty simple boxes!! Grab a mould, pour some molten iron into it, let it cool down! The Chinese invented the technology and have been doing it for thousands of years. If they can manage to make a high-precision iPhone, they can manage to cast a simple box!

My quote was 3,500 around this time last year, too much for me for something that I only use for max 5 months of year and a bit mindful of the fact too that bending down to that fire might not be an indefinite thing! I know we had to replace my Dad's gas fire with a remote controlled one when he couldn't get down on bended knee anymore after a hip op to turn it on.
That's a mad figure. I paid 2700 and that included the flue liner, the stove, some minor repairs to the chimney, removal of the old bottle run gas fire, the stove itself, bird cowl, co monitor and installation.
Henley and Stanley are just fine - lots of people here have them and they run nicely for years without trouble, plus parts are easy to source if you do have an issue. Make a fuss about them being made in China if you like but you do you.

Back