stove flue

bren36

Can anyone tell me if there is a minimum distance in the building regulations that a flue for a wood stove should be from a neighbours house.

See http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,1650,en.pdf (here) Page six is interesting

what's the answer davy? just been out measuring with a new baby on my shoulder! not ideal..... nervous now. should architect not have brought this to our attention? surely?

See[broken link removed]:
It's not Irish but it explains things well. Are you sure we are talking about the same thing here? Is it a flue from a wood burning stove or a boiler that concerns you?

wood burning stove! we've installed one in our extension. detached house but built close to next door neighbours! ext was built according to archtct design/advice etc. Neighbours not happy apparently. Havent lit it yet because I'm terrified since they said they were not happy. will look at the link now. Thanks Davy.

flue from MI Flues for waterford stanley wood burning stove! we've installed one in our extension. detached house but built close to next door neighbours! ext was built according to archtct design/advice etc.

Neighbours not happy apparently. They are elderly and were not happy when we hold them we were knockng a ramshackle "conservatory" ie -fridge and made a room instead.

Havent lit it yet because I'm terrified since they said they were not happy. will look at the link now. Thanks Davy.

oh god. sleep deprivation is doing v bad things to me. what I said above AND lost bit where i said it seems links is referring to where you have a shared chimney - Sorry if this is all wrong. Havent slept in 11 weeks.... any day now, the baby will sleep through... any day now....

Ok, Is your extension a flat or pitched roof? how far from neighbour are you?

I also have a 11 week old, but thankfully he sleeps, well, like a baby. 2130 to between 0530 and 0730. Sorry, probably not helping!

Boy or girl? congrats!! :) we have a little fella - sleeps like a baby as well:) but I'm bf'ing so guess who gets to do all the night feeds? ah i don't mind one bit all grand but lets face it the grey matter is not fit for much at the mo.

The ext is pitched and we are just about 2.5 (barely barely) from the neighbours.

One night last week small man slept 10pm to 4.50. that was pretty good now.

congrats yourself. a "little" boy, 10lb! fair play on the breast feeding, my wife swears by it, which is great for baby and me, i get loads of sleep.

I spoke to Stanley and they have informed me that regardless of distance from main house the flue would need to clear the pitch of the main house's roof. I didn't have all the details so I could not enquire further. My advice would be to get details like how far is flue from house, the height of flue etc and call stanley on lowcall 1850 302 502 and ask to speak with techincal. They also recommended a flue specailist company called MI Flues they are on 046 9558030, once you have your facts they should be able to advice.

The flue can be brought up by different methods but it may be pricey. Even in the building standards say to follow manufacturs instructions so whatever Stanley advice is the best course of action.

Good Luck

ah davy thanks for going to all that trouble :) god we should be ok then - I dealt with MI flues - sent architect drawings down to them and they put together flue kit and sent it to me. sent MI the spec for the stove the whole chebang. the flue is higher than our roof and thus is higher than the neighbour. they've been kinda mean to us and what harm we always had a good relationship. i guess they just dont like change cos they are not affected by our changes to our property as such. thanks again for help Davy- sorry for hijackin' your thread Bren - hope you got some help out of this info too!

(10lbs! shure he's half reared! LOL congrats again and well done to bf'ing Mrs Jones)

Last edited:
Back