Storing bananas so as to prevent them ripening quickly

newseeker1

Hi
Anyone got any suggestions on how to store bananas so that they don't go black/ripen really quickly

Bought some yesterday evening and got ones that were pretty green skins on them as wont eat them for few days. Have them in a fruit bowl in the kitchen but already this morning can see they ripening quickly and at this rate will be black in a few days I would say

Have, in past tried storing them in the fridge but same thing happens - they skin go black really quick.

How do others prolong bananas ripening when you bring them home - where or how do you store them?

Thanks

I think separation will help, so that each banana is not touching another banana or another piece of fruit. Also, a cool place out of direct sunlight. I read years ago that bananas are harvested very unripe and sprayed with a ripening agent when/before the cargo ship reaches port of destination, so that they will be nice for retail.

I only eat green bananas, so I only buy them a few at a time, store them in the fridge and they usually last three days. I worked in Trinidad for a couple of years and all the Trinis I knew only ate them green (straight of the tree) so I got the habit there.

Hi,
Keep them covered in a cool area a little below ambient temp. Under the staircase is an ideal place for them sitting in your unused insulated picnic container.

never put bananas in the fridge, this speeds up the blackening process

Buy a banana tree (basically a hook on a curved mount from which you can hang a bunch of bananas) and leave it out of direct sun-light in a well-ventilated place, the cooler and shadier the better (but not the fridge as already pointed out - that blackens the skin very quickly and any ice crystal formation will damage the banana). Stops them ripening other fruit too!

Don't put them in the same bowl as apples, apples supposedly ripen fruit,
well so my lovely old aunt told me.

Back