Stone floor tiles

TabithaRose

I'm getting my hall floor tiled and was considering stone tiles, but have been told that they may make the hall alot colder than ceramic tiles would, I've never heard anything like that before, and was wondering if anyone could tell me if there's any truth in it?

Thanks in advance :)

My brother had stone tiles and they seemed slightly colder but perhaps that was all in our mind! They were great though, hard wearing and great looking.

Elaborate on stone tiles please. All tiles in general are by their very nature cold. But what I would say is maybe get a sample of this tile and place it on the ground and walk over it a few times and see how it feels. At the end of the day a tiled hall floor is going to be a lot harder wearing than any other floor covering you get.

Plus the coldness really only applies if you intend walking on these tiles with bare feet.

I can't elaborate too much as it wasn't explained properly to me - I asked the tiler about his opinion on using stone rather than ceramic tiles, he said stone tiles would be colder, "fake stone" would be better than real stone, and recommended ceramic or "fake stone" tiles instead of natural stone.

We have a language barrier issue which means I couldn't really get him to elaborate any more than that - hence my question..... I'd never thought stone would be any colder than ceramic but then I know very little about tiles in general and even less about stone tiles....

Hope that clarifies somewhat :)

Ok so it sounds like he has very little experience with tile. What i usually recommend for hall floors is porcelain or marble. The choice is yours but don't let him push you around into doing ceramics if it's a natural stone tile you want.

Hi TR. B&Q do a laminate wood flooring range that has several stone/tile effects. They look so like stone/tile but must be much warmer, I reckon. No connection but living near B&Q, Mahon Point, Cork. My favourite store in the whole wide world! :)

What i usually recommend for hall floors is porcelain or marble. The choice is yours but don't let him push you around into doing ceramics if it's a natural stone tile you want.

thanks for the advice - with regards to marble / porcelain they're not an option because I don't like / want either - it wasn't that he recommended ceramic - I wanted ceramic until I saw some nice natural stone ones that I fancied :)

Hi TR. B&Q do a laminate wood flooring range that has several stone/tile effects. They look so like stone/tile but must be much warmer, I reckon. No connection but living near B&Q, Mahon Point, Cork. My favourite store in the whole wide world! :)

thanks for that :)

if you have a communication problem with a person that you are paying good money to do a lifelong job in your house that everybody will see,i fera that you could have more than just a language problem. sorry if i seem harsh.

Don't know if you managed to get your floor tiles but for what it's worth I have stone tiles -ie marble, in my hall and kitchen and I find them great and very easy to keep. I love them. Got them from a company located on a farm just outside New Ross and they were fantastic to deal with - gave us great advice at the time. I have a stanley cooker and my kitchen floor is always warm, the tiles seem to hold the heat. It strikes me that maybe your tiler might not like fitting stone tiles and is trying to get you to go for what he finds easiest to lay. We had that problem when we were doing our floors but we stuck to our guns as it is our house at the end of the day.

tiles

Hello Good Girl,
Can you PM the details of where you got your tiles please?

Thanks!

Back