Stockpicking - having fun so far...

pernickety

Hi,
Following a fair amount of reading of this and other forums and getting 1/2 way through an investing book recommended here I finally took the plunge and started to pick stocks and watch their ups and downs. I'm doing this for nearly a year now and am enjoying it!!!

Obviously I know there are huge risks involved but I made a nice packet selling my house and am living mortgage and debt free so I'm willing to take the risks. Therefore I'm doing what others advise not to. I'm picking a stock cause I like their product, without ever examining a p&L statement. I'm selling when I've made a good profit and holding the negative ones. I'm divining the future of a company based on the curve of the graph of the last 10 years.

Just wondering does anyone else do this or am I the only totally irresponsible one?

:rolleyes:

what book did you get? I want to get into it aswell but someone told me no point unless you have thousands to put into it. How true is this?

I'm picking a stock cause I like their product, without ever examining a p&L statement. I'm selling when I've made a good profit and holding the negative ones. I'm divining the future of a company based on the curve of the graph of the last 10 years.

You're asking for big trouble, for a number of reasons.

It doesn't make sense to buy a stock just because you like their product - a good company can make a bad stock. Not only that, a bad company can make a good product.

As for "holding the negative ones", that is where you are really asking for trouble. With your approach, the vast majority of trades will be small winners but eventually you will be hit with a gargantuan loser. What if you liked Smart Telecom's packages? Would you have held on as the stock collapsed? Ditto with a ton of other companies.

As for the 10 year charts - good luck. I don't know how you can make accurate deductions with them. I use charts the whole time but I've never seen any merit in a time frame that long.

It seems to me that you're neither a trader nor an investor but somewhere in between. Any trader will tell you that cutting your losses is essential if you want to survive - it seems you don't want to do that. Investors with long term horizons take a different approach, adding to positions in times of weakness. Fair enough. Unlike you, however, most clued-in investors will have done their homework and will be relying on some kind of decent fundamental frameowork - a ten year chart and a liking for the company product is just not good enough.

I'm not sure what book you've been reading (I'm guessing it might be something by Peter 'buy what you know' Lynch) but I'd strongly advise you to do some more reading. Just because you've been making money over the last year does not mean that you've been doing things right.

There's a good thread at http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=34876&highlight=books

Good luck.

what book did you get? I want to get into it aswell but someone told me no point unless you have thousands to put into it. How true is this?

Bob the slob - yes, you do need thousands. If you're looking for decent returns with a modest amount of money, then a spread betting account might be an option. Obviously, you'd need a good understanding of markets before committing any money.

Hi,

I haven't really got into investing directly in shares yet but have read up alot about it. The reason people say that you need thousands is due to charges.

These tend to be people that haven't shopped around for a stockbroker and use their banks stockbroking service or some other equally expensive stockbroking service.

For example, with Goodbody (which AIB use), you will pay a minimum of €32 commission for each share purchase and sale. You will also pay an annual charge of €26.

It is not advisable to invest all your money in one or two shares. If you do this and one drops by 20% after some sort of accounting scandal or something, you will have lost alot of money. Ideally, you'd want to have a bare minimum of 5 different holdings and preferably closer to 10.

If you used AIB's service to purchase the bare minimum of 5 different shares, it would cost you €32 * 5 = €160 to buy the shares and €160 to sell them. You'd also have the €26 per year annual charge on top of this. That's a total minimum charge of €346 to buy and sell 5 shares. In other words, if you invested €3,500, your shares will have to rise by 10% before you make a cent.

If you use a foreign stockbroker, your investments will not be eaten up so much by charges. Your choice of a foreign stockbroker depends largely on how you intend to invest.

For example, if you only want to invest in the USA, 'ETrade USA' may be a good choice. If you'd like to invest in the USA and Europe (excluding Ireland), 'Interactive Brokers' may be a good choice and if you'd like to invest in the UK, 'Hoodless Brennan' may be a good choice.

Personally, I am leaning towards 'Interactive Brokers' as my stockbroker and I've set up an account and am ready to lodge money to it. They do not allow you to purchase Irish shares. However, I don't want to purchase Irish shares anyway because there is an additional 1% stamp duty to pay in Ireland which you don't have to pay with European or USA shares (the UK stamp duty is 0.5%). Also, my job is reliant on the Irish economy so I don't want all my eggs in the one basket with my investments reliant on the Irish economy too. Therefore, to start with, I'm sticking to Europe which has the advantage of no currency risks.

With 'Interactive Brokers' there is a €4 fee for buying or selling shares (as long as it's less than €4000 worth of each share your buying or selling) and there is a minimum charge of €8 per month. That means that, provided you only make two trades per month, the total cost in any year will be €96.

What I like about this is that you can start with €1,000 and purchase 2 different shares. Then, you can add €500 per month (or whatever you can afford) and purchase a different share each month. If you decide you want to sell a share, you can do so without any extra cost (because you're allowed 2 trades a month within your minimum commission charge).

When handled correctly, the maximum charges you will ever have is €96 per year and this allows you a total of 24 trades per year (2 per month). You can add whatever amount you want each month and skip months if you like.

Obviously, when compared to a good unit linked fund that will usually charge 1%, the €96 annual charge with 'Interactive Brokers' will be more expensive than the unit linked fund until the value of your shares is €9,600. At this point, the charges in the unit linked fund will continue to rise whilst the 'Interactive Broker' charges will stay the same.

However, you get to pick your own shares to buy and sell and are not heavily weighted in one sector (banking) as with most of the Unit Linked funds. You also avoid the 8-year rule which involves you having to pay tax on the unit linked fund after 8-years (even if you didn't sell any units).

Also, if you have less money to invest, you could consider 'Hoodless Brennan' who charge €12 per trade with no minimum monthly or annual charge. This allows you to buy UK shares or a choice of 500 US and European shares. Basically, if you're willing to risk not being diversified initially, you could open an account, save up a certain amount and buy one share at a time until you are diversified. You could then add to your positions. The reason I didn't pick these is that, at €12 each, if I make 8 or more trades in a year, it will be more expensive than 'Interactive Brokers' and to make a trade worthwhile at €12 commission, you should really be investing a minimum of about €500 in each share for a minimum of 5 years (this would make the cost of buying and selling 4.8% - just under 1% per year). I'd prefer to be able to buy/sell shares every month and to be able to buy as little as €200 - €300 worth each time.

However, if you chose the 'Hoodless Brennan' route, I'd suggest saving up €1,200 each time and purchasing €1,200 of each share. If you were saving €300 per month, you could make a purchase every 4 months and would have 3 different shares after a year with total costs of €36 to the stockbroker. After 2 years, you'd be relatively diversified and would have dividends to add to your €1,200 investments.

Ronaldo, a good post but I would have thought that http://www.keytrade.com/ would have offered better fees than this but your example has highlighted to me that the fees are indeed cheap, and maybe the cheapest around?

E.g. with KT 100 Shares @ EUR 50 Share Price = EUR 24.95 on the european market Brussels. This works out as a cost 0.499%

E.g. with 'Interactive Brokers' - 100 Shares @ EUR 50 Share Price = EUR 5.00. This works out as a cost 0.1% and the maximum being EUR 29.00 per order. - see here

This highlights the price difference between the KT and IB, with IB being the cheapest. But the 10 dollar or 8 euro INACTIVITY fee is 120/96 per year before you actually buy or sell anything is the thing that puts me off.

IB states that "Customers choosing to subscribe to US non-professional real-time market data will have the USD 10 (or USD equivalent) monthly fee waived if they spend USD 30 (or USD equivalent) or more in activity fees for the month." which is a good thing but one would have to spend 30dollars to have this waived. As of yet I am not too sure.

That is why I have chosen to go with KT as they offer no Annual charges. If I was to be the more active investor I would certainly consider IB, but for now KT it is. Thanks again and good luck with your investments.

Ronaldo, a good post but I would have thought that http://www.keytrade.com/ would ...

That is why I have chosen to go with KT as they offer no Annual charges. If I was to be the more active investor I would certainly consider IB, but for now KT it is. Thanks again and good luck with your investments.

Good Points Hattrick.

I have an account with Interactive Brokers - and maybe just some points to clarify on the issues above

- IB does charge an inactivity fee of €8/$10, but it is not before any trades - i.e. if you make only one purchase on IBIS for €4 in the month, you will still only pay €8 in commission total for the month.

- Hattrick makes a very good point about real-time quotes - this is a reasonably hidden charge with IB. IB do not provide any quotes other than real-time quotes. This works out to be €1 per month for European shares traded through Germany and $10 per month for all US shares. This is vital for a more active investor, but it is definitely possible to get your quotes elsewhere, for example finance.msn.com give real time quotes for free. You can then enter a "blind" order with IB. They do not recommend this, but it is not that bad if you make a limit order e.g. buy XXX if the price drops below $25.

- Some people may not be aware that some Irish shares are available in the US as ADRS, e.g. Bank of Ireland (NYSE:IRE), AIB (NYSE:AIB), IONA and that to invest in these outside of Ireland avoids a 1% stamp duty charge. As far as I am aware, Ireland has 1% stamp duty, UK has 0.5% stamp duty but no other country has stamp duty of these levels - top of the league again!

- I would really recommend Burton Makeil's "A Random Walk down Wall Street" before you decide on a strategy such as the one suggested at the start of this thread. Selling winners and keeping loosers will very likely make you poor - you should be looking at the fundamentals - even a cursory look at P/E, PEG ratio after you understand the business itself. Better still, you should be probably buying broad range ETFs if you are not prepared to put the work into picking individual companies.

I picked IB as my broker, because I want to make regular investments every month and this limits my commission. Keytrade is perfect if you wish to make large one off invesments that you want to hold for long periods of time.

Thanks for the post there, it gives a good insight for me.

- IB does charge an inactivity fee of €8/$10, but it is not before any trades - i.e. if you make only one purchase on IBIS for €4 in the month, you will still only pay €8 in commission total for the month.

Can you explain this a bit more for me please. If for example you bought 2 seperate shares A & B for X amount each this would involve 4euro commission on each stock for 1 month, lets say. Would this be the only Commission you would be charged for that month?

If so, this would seem like a cost effective way of buying with IB

Also could you tell me the commission for selling on IB.

- Hattrick makes a very good point about real-time quotes - this is a reasonably hidden charge with IB. IB do not provide any quotes other than real-time quotes. This works out to be €1 per month for European shares traded through Germany and $10 per month for all US shares. This is vital for a more active investor, but it is definitely possible to get your quotes elsewhere, for example finance.msn.com give real time quotes for free. You can then enter a "blind" order with IB. They do not recommend this, but it is not that bad if you make a limit order e.g. buy XXX if the price drops below $25.

11 dollars without buying anything but just looking at the real-time prices. That seems costly, but is it worth it or is yahoo/msn a reasonable enough option in your experience?

Can you explain this a bit more for me please. If for example you bought 2 seperate shares A & B for X amount each this would involve 4euro commission on each stock for 1 month, lets say. Would this be the only Commission you would be charged for that month?

Yes, as the total commission would be > the $10 minimum. That would be your only charge in the month if you were not subscribed to any real-time quote data. It is a transaction charge, so it is the same for buying or selling shares.

11 dollars without buying anything but just looking at the real-time prices. That seems costly, but is it worth it or is yahoo/msn a reasonable enough option in your experience?

I am subscribed to US real-time quotes and to one German exchange, costing $10 + €1 per month. For the next year I plan to be slightly more active in choosing and dollar cost averaging my investments. After that I will sit back and plan to turn off the quotes.

One point that I should mention about IB is that it is fairly complex - It took me a few months before I understood everything on the platform (However, I was interested in commodities, ETFS, shares in Hong Kong, currency hedging and some stock options). You can start off with their WebTrader interface, rather than the TraderWorkstation (which is targetted at day traders and encourages over trading). One thing that is very useful is their "paper trading" account, which is available after you fund your account and allows you to paper trade for a little while until you understand everything.

Good luck with your research

Back