Stockholm - tips and advice needed

foxylady

Has anyone got any tips or advice on Stockholm. ie things to do , good hotels, getting from skavsta airport to the city etc.

Is that the main airport? If so there's a very quick direct train to the central train station. The old town section is really nice (Gamla Stan I think it's called but I could be wrong). The area to the North of that is good for bars and restaurants (I can't remember the name of the place it's been so long since I've been there). Take a city bus tour on your first day to see what places you'd like to go back to visit.

I didn't find it much more expensive than Dublin and that was a few years ago.

Skavsta is about a half hour/40 minutes on the bus. Bus is pretty good. No trains, only other form of transport is taxi and that would cost a fortune. For hotels, we've stayed in quite a few. Radisson Blu Royal Viking is the best of them and didn't cost an absolute fortune either - but it wasn't in the height of tourist season. Hotels are pretty good in Stockholm but stay central if you can.

Gamla Stan is like any other european old town - think temple bar. Very pretty but very touristy. The best thing IMO in stockholm is the archipeleggo (sp?) lovely boats on the water. City bus tours definitely worth it. Depending on what you are interested in, there's loads to see. Wasa museum is fascinating. Nobel museum ditto. There are good restaurants virtually everywhere!

Been a while but I seem to remember that there were water taxis between the islands too, I took one to the Vasa museum island.
Found the underground good, you have to buy the tickets aboveground though,at a newsagents called a "Pressbyran" I think, loads of them around anyway.
Great and unusual confectionary if like me you're a fan of the sweet stuff.
There's a good tourist info office in the airport too, I think that we arranged a transfer direct to our hotel from there.
Enjoy your trip Foxylady!

Changing of the Guards at the Royal Palace in Gamla Stan is nice to watch and free. Check days and times as it varies depending on time of the year.

Wollran

skavsta is much further out. Arlanda is about 40 minutes into the city or less if you take the arlanda express.

Check out:
M
Www.Visitstockholm.com

http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/06/05/travel/36-hours-in-stockholm.html

Also in addition to the suggestions above:

When in djurgarden visiting Vasa and or Skansen go to the organic restaurant. It's about a ten/fifteen minute walk from Museum. Great prawn salads in a lovely garden setting.

The saluhall -food market is worth a visit. It is in Ostermalm.

Vaxholm is lovely. A ferry trip out about 90 minutes.

Drottingholm is also worth a visit about an hour by steam boat on the lake.

Marion

Parts of it are very central - but it's an incredibly long street. The top of it is about as central as you can get, and is pedestrianised with loads of shops. However, there are other parts that are quite a bit further out. And there are parts that are a bit unsavoury at night too... Is this for a hotel?

Parts of it are very central - but it's an incredibly long street. The top of it is about as central as you can get, and is pedestrianised with loads of shops. However, there are other parts that are quite a bit further out. And there are parts that are a bit unsavoury at night too... Is this for a hotel?

yes its for Best Western Bentleys Hotel

I'd say that's not too bad, although am not mad keen walking through closed shopping districts at night myself. Check it out on tripadvisor.com - there are plenty of reviews, even if some are in Swedish!

Back