Stipling/artex query...

elmo blatch

I'm on a bit of a roll with redecorating plans in the house at the moment, and one of the things that is bothering me longest has to be the stipling/artex which is on EVERY single ceiling in the house (even on the slope under the stairs!!) :eek:

I did a thread search and some research on the net and I'm fairly sure it's not a diy removal job, and i'm not focused enough to do the skim stuff from woodies etc.... :p

So I'm thinkin of gettin a plasterer in to re-skim as it doesn't seem to be heavily stippled. Has anyone had similar done? I'll get it done in bits and pieces, cost dependent, but was wondering if anyone could give a ball park price for say a 12 x 12 ft room or do plasterers charge by the hour/foot sqaured etc?

Any advice or suggestions are much appreciated... and if anyone knows of a reasonable and reliable plasterer who works on southside that'd be great too!!

Cheers
EB

We had this absolutely everywhere as well, and I hated it! Got our team of Polish lads to tackle this while they were doing some other work. They reckoned that it was far too labour-intensive to skim every ceiling & replaster, so they just skimmed the suface and then attached a thin sheet of plasterboard. This was done in a day and a half - worked a treat and looks great.

PM me if you'd like their details.

We had pretty much the same done last fall. A four bedroom house with bathroom, landing, hallway and downstairs. Our plasterer plastered two of the ceilings and the rest he plasterboarded and skimmed. He did an excellent job and started and finished when he said he would. If you get back to me I still have his tel. no.

We renovated 2 houses with stippling.

In the first house, the stippling was like ice-cream cones hanging down *shudder*. Was too difficult to sand down so like the others above, they slabbed the ceilings with plasterboard and skimmed over. Neat job

In our current house, the stippling was'nt do deep. The plasterer painted on Thistlebond (like bright green paint with sand in it) on the ceilings and walls. This gives the new plaster a grip. He then skimmed the ceiling and walls. Again, did a good job. This was a different plasterer to the first one

Hth

D

Thanks for all the replies, thankfully I'm not the only one to have this nightmare!

I suppose it is generally easier to put up new plasterboard and give it a skim coat.... that thistlebond stuff sounds quite interesting though...

EB

Back