Steps to cash out CRH shares from Computershare?

ticn99

Hi

Looking to figure out the quickest and cheapest way to cash out CRH shares from Computershare.
These are shares I received whilst formerly an employee (so no experience in share trading) and now looking to cash in.

You cannot sell them from Computershare, I believe I have to complete a transfer request...
My wife has a Goodbody account that's just been idling by for years...could I transfer them in there, sell and close off the account
Is Revolut Invest module a more efficient option?
Is Davy a better option

Thanks

From what I have read in other posts, my understanding was that it is possible to sell the shares through Computershare if they are New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) ones, but it can be expensive and quite a bit of hassle as you need to get a Medallion signature guarantee. If they are instead on the London Stock Exchange (LSE) then I'm not sure. Do you know which ones you have? It might be a problem that the Goodbody account is your wife's, whereas I imagine the shares are in your name. If you need to open a new account to transfer the shares to and sell them, then you should probably consider Degiro.

Last edited:
Yes, NYSE held...any drawbacks to transferring to Revolut?
Is transferring a long drawn out process?

According to this page a Medallion signature guarantee is generally also required for transfers out of Computershare. It says, though, that there is a special arrangement for residents of Ireland who hold shares in an Irish registered company that is listed on a US exchange. I imagine that this might be a new development requested by companies like CRH to assist the probably fairly large number of people now in that situation. I suggest that you call them to find out what this arrangement is. I wouldn't be surprised if it is still quite expensive, though.

Option greyed out when on portal and click the sell option, I rang computershare and they say I'll have to fill out transfer request form.

Was onto Revolut support yesterday and they don't currently accept transfers

You (understandably) want both the cheapest and the easiest way, but I think those two desires are probably in conflict with each other. I suspect that you are likely to find the process slightly easier, or at least more comfortable, dealing with a traditional broker like Davy, Goodbody, or Cantor Fitzgerald, but that is likely to be quite a bit more expensive than dealing with a low-cost broker like Degiro or Interactive Brokers. If you wish to go with the cheapest option, then my guess is that there probably won't be too much difference in price between the low-cost brokers. You would probably find the Degiro interface a bit easier to deal with than the Interactive Brokers one, but I have read some posts (elsewhere) by people saying that they weren't able to transfer from Degiro to Computershare USA and so had to use Interactive Brokers instead. I don't know if it would be different going in the opposite direction.

Last edited:
Back