Steorn Orbo: Claims of "Free Energy" - Real or PR stunt ?

efm

I noted from this mornings Irish Independent that an Irish company Steorn has claimed that it has "developed a technology that produces free, clean and constant energy." http://www.steorn.net/frontpage/default.aspx

I had a quick look at this company's website this morning and my feeling is that this is nothing but a PR stunt.

Their claims that the technology has been verified but only "off the record" are suspect to say the least and the fact that they are promoting this product through The Economist magazine seems to me that they are trying to up their profile either prior to a financing or a take over deal.

Anyone else on AAM feel as sceptical as I about this (I know there are a number of sceptics here :) ) ?

Or have they proven what a good PR stunt it is by atracting the media attention and by me posting here discussing a company I knew nothing about yesterday ?

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Re: Claims of "Free Energy" - Real or PR stunt ?

Has to be a stunt. If it were real the oil companies would have bought the patent and buried it.

[broken link removed]

If its legitimate, surely the new Energy Research council will be interested in exploring it...

When are we going to see nuclear fusion at room temperature??, or the separation of water into hydrogen & oxygen??

On a more realistic note, with wind, solar, wave & bio-fuels I find it hard to get panicked about the energy "crisis"

No way is this a scam. You just have to check out their forum to see the feverish activity that this has generated amonst the scientific community.

[broken link removed]

Ha Ha too much reading for me - can you give me a summary of discussions :confused:

Why advertise for scientists in a business magazine rather than in a scientific publication? You can't defy the laws of physics!

Sure you can, people have been building perpetual motion machines like this for centuries.

Perpetual Motion is not possible.....there are 3 laws governing the abilty for perpetual motion to work....the laws of thermodynamics......1.you dont get something from nothing....2.friction......3.it will stop......any of the previous attempts at perpetual motion have have broken one of these laws , although showcasing the other 2 laws being abided.......for instance....perpetual motion has to "be"....it cant be created.....for isntance a famous perpetual motion machine was a simple wheel in a rig on an axle....it had weighted balls so when it was spun , the momentum of of the balls would pull the wheel around as gravity did its job.......it didnt work and was mocked because......it had to be pushed to start......thats not perpetual motion.......because it was created using a kinetic motion

On the News at One a representative said something along the lines of using magnetic fields and just moving (naturally the interviewer didn't ask what powered this movement) something back to where it started, behind the vagueness and waffle this sounds very much like a dynamo, and is how pretty much all electrical power is generated.

My guess is they're flogging a mobile phone charger charged by the person's movement, anyway OPEC probably shouldn't panic just yet.

I know....I wish it could be done aswell.......but what they claim to have created is free energy , from what i understand is that this free energy is taken from the percentage after 100% efficiency.....but they have to create the energy first to surpass the 100% efficiency barrier.....so therefore its not perpetual motion.....BUT......if what they claim is true I cant wait to see the results as anything free is fine by me......

I was just joking - I understand you 100%. ;)

My guess is they're flogging a mobile phone charger charged by the person's movement, anyway OPEC probably shouldn't panic just yet.
Aren't such "kinetic" power sources already very common in, for example, watches?

The forum on their website leads to all sorts of interesting links. I am afraid I couldn't readily follow most of the scientific (pseudo scientific?) stuff, but it was still very interesting. One of the links made (or purported to make)the point that "free" energy was not the same thing as making energy from nothing - giving as an analogy the heat pump, watermill, hydro power etc. - the argument apparently being that there are powerful magnetic fields in the environment (or at least in some sense 'out there' ) if we could but harness them.

I wish I had the knowledge to dismiss this stuff. (I don't like to dismiss anything from a position of ignorance) but I am afraid it is quite impossible for me to make any sort of informed judgment. Intuitively, and from a layman's perspective, one feels that there is something rather marvellous about magnetism. If I place one magnet on top of another, with same poles facing, it will be repulsed. If I corall the magnets inside a cage (say a few wooden skewers), so that the upper magnet cannot slide away, the upper magnet will happily sit there in mid-air for ever, held up by the other. I know this isn't motion, but there is still a magnet being held in the air forever, without any apparent expenditure of energy. I know some scientist will probably tell me that it is no different to a magnet sitting motionless on a table, but intuitively it feels different. I should have studied harder, so these things wouldn't seem mysterious.

Still it is as good a way as any to waste a half hour.

Their claim to have a > 100% efficient process for energy production is simply rubbish.

This is only going to bring them international derision.

I cringed when I read the reports about an "Irish company" claiming to have a modern version of a perpetual motion machine
based on electromagnetic fields rather than water wheels.

How can that sort of publicity be good for them?

I'd certainly hope there aren't any venture capitalists out there scientifically ignorant enough to give this the time of day.

When you cross a magnetic field with a conductor (or vice-versa), you induce a current. The basis of the electric generator.
For many years there has been boffin discussion relating to the earth's magnetic fields and the rotation of the earth. The practical limitations are based around the fact, that a conductor stretched to space would not be able to support it's own weight. The concept is interesting though!

Back