Stanley Brandon condensing burner100 Oil range.

Tormented

Hello
we have an old Stanley solid fuel range which we want to replace with a new Stanley Brandon condensing burner Oil range, our house is a 4 bed semi well insulated , built in 2009, 13 rads and range will heat hot water and cook as well . Does anyone here have an idea what it costs per year to run. Or how many litres oil per year it may burn.

Or are we crazy to contemplate installing a Range cooker ? otherwise what would be an alternative source of heating. I have heard that Klover pellet stove insert, boiler/ central heating / hot water are good, but can be finickey and troublesome ??

Thanks all, hope you can help

Piece of string question I'm afraid.
But, maybe some informed conclusions can be made ... however, you need to gather some information.
Concentrating on you first question about oil consumption, some questions for you:
1. Does the current way you run the solid fuel range result in a comfortable house etc? Are there any issues with this set up?
2. What is the efficiency of your current range and the new condensing one?
3. How much fuel do you currently use (and what is the fuel mix) during the heating season and per year?

Also the trend seems to be to increase carbon taxes every year so solid fuel / oil will become more expensive over time

Piece of string question I'm afraid.
But, maybe some informed conclusions can be made ... however, you need to gather some information.
Concentrating on you first question about oil consumption, some questions for you:
1. Does the current way you run the solid fuel range result in a comfortable house etc? Are there any issues with this set up?
2. What is the efficiency of your current range and the new condensing one?
3. How much fuel do you currently use (and what is the fuel mix) during the heating season and per year?
Hi Micks'r

thanks for the reply

The solid fuel range we have at present keeps the house lovely and warm and is excellent, keeps house toasty, heats rads and lashings of hot water . We also use its oven to do casseroles and use the hot plate occassionly to cook and to boil a kettle of water and it keeps plates warm The only issue is its dirty and dusty when cleaning out ashes and of course lugging coal in each day is not great either. Getting on in years now !

I would imagine the efficiency is not great, I cant find a % figure for it. The new condensing oil range is apparently 85% efficient.

We would currently use about €2,400 of smokeless coal and would use about €4oo in timber (summer for hot water) to supplement it. So costing about €2,800 per annum.

Even if the oil was costing this which I doubt as it can be programmed. Its the comfort combined with no cleaning of ashes, dust and hauling coal in and out.

The price difference between smokeless coal and kerosene per delivered kWhr is 6.6% in favour of the coal, so assuming the efficiency uplift in changing to a condensing oil range is greater than this then your energy costs will decrease. Using some rough figures, if the efficiency difference is 20% then you should get an immediate 13.4% reduction in costs. Using better controls should help reduce consumption further with the added benefit of automatic operation without the daily maintenance / exercise.
These calcs are based on the most recent published fuel cost data and are subject to market forces etc. Imo your best way of reducing your ongoing fuel costs is to reduce the need for the heating in the first place, i.e. reducing your heat losses.

Reactions: Leo
Hi Micks'r

thank you thats very sound advice, the house is well insulated however I intend to also spray foam insulate the inside of the attic pitched roof. Down the line we are also replacing double glazing with triple. The cavity walls are already filled with bead insulation when the house was built.

We might also look at putting some Evacuated Tube Solar Panels on the roof as we dont have enough south facing roof space for (flat panels or PV panels. ) I dont know just how efficient or affordable these are, but if they could produce hot water for the summer it would be a bonus. I have already installed 300 ltr insulated stainless steel tank.

Back