Standard variable - EBS or AIB ?

stanman

Hi

Am looking to apply for a standard variable mortgage with LTV < 50% - AIB (2.62%) and EBS (2.7%) look like best value options at the moment - but am uncertain which to choose.

I was wondering about the prospects of AIB and EBS continuing to be the best value, given future ownership possibilities (e.g. state ownership, private capital etc.) and pressure by each bank to increase profit margin.

Also interested in any other reasons / views / experiences on why one of these would be preferred to the other.

Many thanks for your help,
Stan

I think that the effective nationalism of EBS means that they are less likely than AIB to have a further rate increase soon independently of the ICB which will probably leave rates unchanged until at least the end of the year. but I could be wrong.

AIB over EBS due to their current fixed rate protocol.

AIB only have one set of fixed rates for new and existing customers, AFAIK, EBS do not even publish their fixed rates for existing customers.

[broken link removed]

I think that the reason that they do not do so is because existing customers are offered different fixed rates "on a case by case basis" whiich seems a bit unfair.

I think that the reason that they do not do so is because existing customers are offered different fixed rates "on a case by case basis" whiich seems a bit unfair.

Thanks kazana.

Another reason for AIB!

EBS will raise rates irrespective of state ownership...all banks will continue to raise rates as they need to improve their margins

AIB look a better bet at this time to have a lower variable rate

Back