Stamp required on letter to Taxman?

Discussion in 'Other financial issues' started by Carramore, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Carramore

Carramore Frequent Poster

I know it won't make or break me, but am I supposed to put a stamp on a letter to the taxman? On a wider level, in what circumstances is a stamp NOT required on a letter (other than FREEPOST)?

2. purpeller

purpeller Frequent Poster

I am open to correction, but I have heard that anything you post to the State (social welfare, revenue, etc) can go without a stamp. Certainly I don't put stamps on anything I have to send those departments and they always receive them.

3. NHG

NHG Frequent Poster

I always put 'Freepost' on anything to revenue, social welfare etc. I was ticked off a few weeks ago by the lady working in our local post office as I needed to get a cert of postage for my letter and she told me that I should have a licence number on it (the one that would be on the prepaid envelopes from revenue etc) so she charged me 55c to post that one. I still just put the 'freepost' on the rest of them and post them in the postbox.

4. Slim

Slim Frequent Poster

I always write 'EIRE' in the centre of the top of the envelope for post to state departments.

5. oldtimer

oldtimer Frequent Poster

All government departments have Freepost licences so posting without a stamp is okay as it will be paid for at the delivery end.

6. Graham_07

Graham_07 Frequent Poster

I've never heard of this before. Is there some background to doing this? I always use "Freepost" on first line of the address.

7. runner

runner Frequent Poster

I remember an accountant of old who used to draw a little map of Ireland (north included!) in the stamp position, on all correspondence with gov dept and revenue.
    He never stamped anything to Gov.

8. Caveat

Caveat Frequent Poster

Thanks. I didn't realise that.

So, is it sufficient just to write FREEPOST?

9. dewdrop

dewdrop Frequent Poster

I also use "eire"....it probably indicates the age profile of the posters!

10. Papercut

Papercut Frequent Poster

I think it's use stemmed from the ''harp'' symbol that appears on passports & appears on the top middle of government issued envelopes.