stamp duty

AIDAN MORONE

hi,

myself and my partner have bought a house for less than 200k.i have previously owned a house which i have sold three years ago,my partner has never owned a house.the property is 1450 sq ft and i wanted to know if i must pay stamp duty,

can anyone advise me please

am

Yes, you have to pay stamp duty
How much depends on how 'under 200K' it is.

If it is <= €190,500 , stamp duty 3%
> €190,500 , stamp duty 4%

[broken link removed]

is there any way that she could be put on the title deeds alone and have a contract drawn up to say that we bought are owners of the property????

is this allowed??

"You could avoid stamp duty by buying a new property if the floor area is less than 125 square metres"

is 1450 square feet less than 125 square metres?

"You could avoid stamp duty by buying a new property if the floor area is less than 125 square metres"

is 1450 square feet less than 125 square metres?

No.

To convert from square meters to square feet multiple by 10.76
125 sq m = 1345 sq feet
1450 sq feet = 134.85 sq m

is there any way that she could be put on the title deeds alone and have a contract drawn up to say that we bought are owners of the property????

is this allowed??

I wouldn't think so. Last 3 bullet points of the follwing extract from the revenue site covers this.

From [broken link removed]

What is the position where the purchase monies are not provided entirely by the first time buyer?
To qualify for the relief the entirety of the purchase monies, including any borrowings, must be provided by the first time buyer. Any person, who provides part of the purchase monies or who is a party to any borrowings relating to such purchase, is also regarded as a buyer of the house and the relief will not be available unless that other person is also a first time buyer.
The basis for this treatment is that, in such circumstances, the house is held for the person providing the monies used in the purchase of the house by way of a resulting trust presumed in favour of that person. This treatment applies whether or not all the parties providing the purchase monies, or all the parties to any borrowings, are actually named in the deed of transfer.
Notwithstanding this treatment, to take account of particular situations, Revenue is prepared to accept that a child, who is a first time buyer, will not be precluded from claiming first time buyer relief where a parent acts as a co-mortgagor in the following circumstances:
  • The transfer of the house is taken in the name of the child.
  • It is the intention of both the child and the parent that the parent is not to take a beneficial interest in the house.
  • The parent has been joined into the mortgage solely at the request of the lending institution for the purpose of providing additional security for the monies being advanced for the purchase.
  • It is not intended that the parent will be contributing to the repayment of the mortgage in the normal course.
Where the four conditions set out above are satisfied, Revenue will treat the parent as effectively acting in the role of guarantor for the loan.
Consistent with the above approach, Revenue will also be prepared to treat persons other than parents of the first time buyer, who satisfy similar conditions to those set out above, as effectively acting in the role of guarantor for the loan. Their involvement in that capacity will not be treated by Revenue as precluding a claim to first time buyer relief. In such circumstances the conditions are as follows:

• The transfer of the house is taken in the name of the first time buyer.
  • It is the intention of both the first time buyer and the other person that the other person is not to take a beneficial interest in the house.
  • The other person has been joined into the mortgage solely at the request of the lending institution for the purpose of providing additional security for the monies being advanced for the purchase.
  • It is not intended that the other person will be contributing to the repayment of the mortgage in the normal course.
The relief from stamp duty is intended to benefit only genuine first time buyers and Revenue will continue to use our audit programme to ensure that there is no abuse of the relief.

If its a new house and you are both owner occupiers there will be no ( or minimal )stamp duty. So is it new or second hand?

If its second hand stamp duty will be E8K.

mf

Quote from Revenue website

Over Floor Area of 125 sq. m

New houses or apartments which are purchased by an owner occupier (including a first time buyer) where the total floor area exceeds 125 square metres are charged with duty, at the appropriate residential property rate as per the table above, on the site value (excluding VAT) or one quarter of the total value of the house including the site (excluding VAT), whichever is the greater, subject to clawback. The size of the floor area must be certified by a qualified architect, engineer or surveyor.

Think this is how it works:

House Cost 200K

Assumptions
Site Cost 60K
Build Cost 140K
Ex Vat 123K

Stamp Duty Exempt

Or (site cost + (build cost - Vat)) / 4
(60+123) /4

= Liable to Stamp Duty 45.75K so Stamp Duty Exempt

hi,

myself and my partner have bought a house for less than 200k.i have previously owned a house which i have sold three years ago,my partner has never owned a house.the property is 1450 sq ft and i wanted to know if i must pay stamp duty,
can anyone advise me please
am

Aidan I assume this a new house you have bought. Now if you are going to be an owner-occupier of this house there will be no stamp duty payable on it as for houses exceeding 125 sq.m. the duty is assessed on either a quarter of the total cost or the site cost - whichever is the greater figure of the two. As you mentioned a figure of 200k which I assume is the total cost, and the site cost would hardly be greater than 127,000, so no duty payable even for non-first time purchasers.
Of course if it is a second-hand house different rules apply and it depends on the price of the house and whether or not first-time purchaser relief applies. If the price does not exceed 317,500 then for first time-purchaser there is no stamp duty; for non-first time purchaser then 4% rate applies to the 190501-254,000 euro band.

hi bridget,

the house is a new house so i am safe in saying there is no stamp duty,

thanks bridget and all who replied on this one

Back