Stamp Duty Query

S

swfcfan

Hi everyone,

Myself and my partner are buying a second hand house together and hope to move in next week. My partner is a first time buyer but i am not. We have to pay about 23K in stamp duty. Do u think that we will get any of it back? I dont think its fair on my boyfriend to have to pay stamp duty just because i had a house before. I have no problem paying stamp duty on my part of the house.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks
SWFC fan

Hi everyone,

Myself and my partner are buying a second hand house together and hope to move in next week. My partner is a first time buyer but i am not. We have to pay about 23K in stamp duty. Do u think that we will get any of it back? I dont think its fair on my boyfriend to have to pay stamp duty just because i had a house before. I have no problem paying stamp duty on my part of the house.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks
SWFC fan

if you are buying together then you'll be classed as not being FTB. Doubt you'll get anything back.

Apple is correct..to qualify for FTB status all buyers on title have to be FTBs...no refunds payable. Only way to avoid this is for the FTB to buy on his own and presumably thats not feasible for financial reasons.
Its unlikely that there will be any major changes to this in the near future but as Minister Cowan confirmed that some changes are to happen in next month or so there is a small glimmer of hope.

It may be possible to have your name on the deeds but both names on the mortgage-search/browse for previous threads on the issue. Be careful, if you decide later on that you want both names on the deeds, the stamp duty issue may raise its head again.

Get professional advice on the matter-preferably from your solicitor.

Back