Stamp Duty over 125 sq meters

S

ShaneH

Dear All

I have just purchased a new home. The house is newly built and I will be the first owner.
I will be the owner occupier. I am not a first time buyer as I have previously owned a house in the UK which I have sold, however this will be the first house I will have bought in Ireland. The size of the house is over 125 sq meter’s. The house is located in county Longford. The house is designated for section 23 Tax relief. The House cost 290,000 Euros

Can anyone tell me is I have to pay stamp duty and if so how much or what % should I pay.

I would be very grateful for any advice on this

Thanks
Shane.

Hi Shane,

In my opinion you are not liable for stamp duty.

Over Floor Area of 125 sq. m

New houses or apartments which are purchased by an owner occupier (including a first time buyer) where the total floor area exceeds 125 square metres are charged with duty, at the appropriate residential property rate as per the table above, on the site value (excluding VAT) or one quarter of the total value of the house including the site (excluding VAT), whichever is the greater, subject to clawback. The size of the floor area must be certified by a qualified architect, engineer or surveyor

1/4 of your house price is €72.5k, consideration below €127k is exempt from Stamp Duty regardless of purchaser status so I would interpret your situation as being exempt from duty.

Hi Pablo

Thank you very much for this information.

Kind Regards
Shane.

Back