Stair well Cut off system to conserve downstairs heat.

browtal

I and my husband, like many other people, live in a large house. We do not use the upstairs at all, unless we have guests.

Is there any Ready Made System to efficiently and tastefully, cut off the stir well to conserve heat downstairs.
We would intent leaving a low heat on in the upstairs rooms on a separate system of our heating installation.

Hope there is an answer to my problem. Thanks Browtal

We have the same problem. One system for the whole house. A lot of costly heat escaping through an atrium and unused bedrooms. Have you thought of an Arabian Nights effect with a tented ceiling or parachute type ceiling? This type of effect?

http://s880.photobucket.com/albums/ac5/Unforgettable_Weddings/PHOTO%20GALLERY/?action=view&current=100_9707.jpg&newest=1 (http://s880.photobucket.com/albums/ac5/Unforgettable_Weddings/PHOTO%20GALLERY/?action=view&current=100_9707.jpg&newest=1)

Try radiator valves on the radiators. They let you have each individual radiator at a different setting. They're not expensive but I don't know if it's a DIY job to fit them. I have them in my house (had never had them before) and they're great. Here is a link to one source, the ESB, though you might get them cheaper elsewhere. [broken link removed]

I was thinking of putting a curtain across the wall/stairwell. It might not work in all setups, and depending on location you might need to find somebody willing to put the extra effort into fitting it.

Thanks for your advice. I do have separate system for upstairs but I would like to shut off the stair well completely to conserve heat. The downstairs section is required to be a lot warmer than the upstairs.
It really is worth having an isolated system of control. Thanks Browtal

A good carpenter should be able to put a temporary insulated ceiling there with a 'trap' door to go up. Should be able to custom design something that is insulated and able to store easily in the garage or attic out of winter.

Back