Stainless Steel hot water tank

Taydo

Folks,

Has anyone ever heard of a Stainless Steel hotwater tank and if so are they any good. Pro's Cons over the Horribly Green Insulated ones.

I'd say cost would be an issue. Also copper piping and a copper tank, under that "horrible green insulation" common expansion rates. Stainless steel tank and copper piping, different rates of expansion under heating and cooling leads to leeky joints and perhaps galvanic action... a kind of rusting...!

I'd stick with the horrible green one unless your putting in a dual coil cyclinder for solar or something.. IMO

I think you may be mixing up tank (big store of cold water in attic) with cylinder (place your hot water is heated and stored).

Jmrc- Builder is installing it as part of the price of the house. He claims it can keep water to a relative degree of heat for approx 3 days i.e hot enough to have a shower. Plumbing System is pressurised if this makes any odds. He advised against putting in an electric shower as he said when you have this system you do not require an electric shower eventhough he has no issues with installing an electric shower.

jhegarty- You are correct in what you say. Just shows how much I know about plumbing.

Thanks one and all.

There are two types of pressurised plumbing systems.

1 off the mains,no tank in attic, Cylinder under positive pressure. You must use a S/S cylinder and expansion vessel.

2 tank in attic feeding cylinder and pump located after cylinder I.E cylinder in negative pressure. In this case a copper cylinder could be used.

There are two types of pressurised plumbing systems.

1 off the mains,no tank in attic, Cylinder under positive pressure. You must use a S/S cylinder and expansion vessel.

2 tank in attic feeding cylinder and pump located after cylinder I.E cylinder in negative pressure. In this case a copper cylinder could be used.

DavyJones, Re point no 2 - how good a system is this if you have a couple of bog standard gravity fed showers with fe*k all pressure but where the pipes would be a nightnare to locate individually and pump individually. If the whole system is pumped, what are pros and cons. Eg, would it affect the toilet cisterns - would the pressure be too much for ordinary ball cock? Want to pressurise my showers without ripping out walls to install pumped shower etc so looking for handiest most cost effective options and thought sticking pump on hot and cold feeds might be the answer??

DavyJones, Re point no 2 - how good a system is this if you have a couple of bog standard gravity fed showers with fe*k all pressure but where the pipes would be a nightnare to locate individually and pump individually. If the whole system is pumped, what are pros and cons. Eg, would it affect the toilet cisterns - would the pressure be too much for ordinary ball cock? Want to pressurise my showers without ripping out walls to install pumped shower etc so looking for handiest most cost effective options and thought sticking pump on hot and cold feeds might be the answer??

It is certainly an option to pressurise the whole lot. Do bear in mind that you may need to change ballcock in toilet cisterns to cope with the higher pressure. Also worth bearing in mind is the noise a pump may make. It will run whenever a toilet is flushed or a tap turned on. Think 2 am and using the loo.

Otherwise it will improve your showering experiance no end.

Thanks for that Davy Jones. Is he filling me with s**t as regards the Electric shower.

That depends, will you have solar panels?

I find electric showers poor compared to a power shower, however they can have limited use I.E instant, if poor pressure, hot water and are ok as a back up.

Back