St.Edmunds Development - Liffey Valley

Dee101

Hi

It looks like a nice estate to me and I'm thinking of going for a viewing. Anyone on here live in this estate or bought recently?. I know the prices are going from €260,000 for an apartment but I'm wondering are they selling for less considering the current climate.

Hi Dee101, one thing to look out for is I think they are building a drug treament centre directly across from these apartments. They are building something anyway and I've been told thats what it is (could be wrong though). Some of the apartments face directly on to this so it is definitely something I would check out if I were considering buying there.

The drug clinic facing it will be an issue and it is well on the way to completion now.

I think St. Edmunds looks quite well finished, better than I thought it would look, but personally I hate any type of complex with loads and loads of apartments. Very concrete jungle.

This thread may be of interest, it's 18 months old so that's how long they've been trying to sell these apts. I think any offer may be entertained.

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=38683

Yep I had a read of that thread alright, just wondered has anyone bought one recently. I can't believe the OP's sister paid €300k for a one bed:eek:.
Goes to show how times have changed in the last 18 months.

As apartments go, I do think they look well. Although there is a lot of building still going on and will have to look into the exact location of the drug clinic.

A friend has been offered one of these on affordable housing and they're just wondering whether or not to go for it. I don't know whether its worth it as I think the price is a tad high in today's market. I'm trying to get an idea of what they are selling for at the moment and see how far that is off the affordable housing price.
Estate agent says from €260,000 for 1 and 2 beds but I don't believe they will sell at that price.
There is no point in going for affordable housing (with all its restrictions) when by paying just a little extra you could just buy a place in the normal way and you're free to do what you like with it then!.
I don't think affordable housing is as appealing to people as it was maybe this time last year.

Yep I had a read of that thread alright, just wondered has anyone bought one recently. I can't believe the OP's sister paid €300k for a one bed:eek:.
Goes to show how times have changed in the last 18 months.

As apartments go, I do think they look well. Although there is a lot of building still going on and will have to look into the exact location of the drug clinic.

A friend has been offered one of these on affordable housing and they're just wondering whether or not to go for it. I don't know whether its worth it as I think the price is a tad high in today's market. I'm trying to get an idea of what they are selling for at the moment and see how far that is off the affordable housing price.
Estate agent says from €260,000 for 1 and 2 beds but I don't believe they will sell at that price.
There is no point in going for affordable housing (with all its restrictions) when by paying just a little extra you could just buy a place in the normal way and you're free to do what you like with it then!.
I don't think affordable housing is as appealing to people as it was maybe this time last year.

As far as the finish goes I think its really good, we (my wife and I) just bought one of the 3 bed 2 storeys ( or 3 storey depending if you count the ground floor) and are really happy with it. We got lucky as we got a cancellation. All white goods and tiling included (choice of 3 different types) the estate agents are a pleasure to deal with.
They have dropped in price considerably though, I've seen the apartments and they seem to be finished to a high spec too. So I'd recommend you go for a viewing.!

In fairness, I drove past at the weekend, and from the outside anyway, you could tell that the finish was good.

Would not be happy if I bought one facing that drugs clinic though and some of the houses will have a birds eye view of it.

Would not be happy if I bought one facing that drugs clinic though and some of the houses will have a birds eye view of it.

Not really a problem for us, its just another building (the drugs clinic) but hey everyone to their own.
I might have a problem if there was recovering addicts sitting on my door step but I'd doubt that's going to be a problem. :D

Not really a problem for us, its just another building (the drugs clinic) but hey everyone to their own.
I might have a problem if there was recovering addicts sitting on my door step but I'd doubt that's going to be a problem. :D

Why would a prospective buyer risk it? With so much housing stock available at lower and lower prices any negatives result in an immediate line being drawn through a candidate. I'm not saying it will be an issue but it pretty much makes it an easy choice for a prospective buyer to walk away.

Anyone ask what the building behind the estate is(entrance off N4)?and no i'm not talking about St.Lomans, its the one beside that with the big gates and locks. Hmmmmm!!!!!! Big gates with big locks and a lot of bars on the small windows. I wonder?????

yep its ballydowd special care unit no major problems with that though although i think there was a riot there a couple of years ago mind you any "escapees" doubtfully going to hang around the immediate vicinity likewise withthe drugs clinic i'd imagine

I've done plenty of research around and about the local area. Again though, I don't have a problem with the surrounding locale.

In fairness, I lived in the area for seven years and until I read that post yesterday about the residential centre, I did not even know if was there, so there was never a peep out of it and it did not impact on people on a daily basis.

Would be more concerned about the drug clinic, I used to walk home from Liffey Valley Centre right past where that is going now and I would be a bit more concerned about doing that now from a personal safety point of view.

Once the OP is aware of what is in and around the locality and is happy to proceed on that basis, well and good.

St. Edmunds looks well finished, it was on that showhouse program and the 3 bed duplex was lovely when fitted out.

So, in summary, this development is between a drug clinic, a residential lock up and halting sites...Not to everybody's taste i guess

Back