SRS warning light on dash of car

NicolaM

Hi
The SRS warning light appeared on my car last night (C180 automatic Mercedes).
The car manual says that in worst case senario, the airbag may discharge :)eek:)
This may well just be a sensor under the seats, but I have no experience with this type of problem.
Does this mean that the airbag will now not work, and is there really a possibility that the airbag may spontaneously discharge??
Can anyone recommend a reasonable garage on the southside that can fix this (would need to have access computer to analyse the fault).
Thanks for advise
Nicola

Very unlikely and almost impossible for it to deploy. When the light comes on like on ABS the system is generally disabled because there is some fault and mostly this is an eletrical short/or loose connection. Has happened to a few cars on me and its normally a loose cable or connection under the seat, often caused by someone hoovering or legs under the seat. However you should get it looked at as soon as possible as it is probably now disabled and wouldn't discharge in an accident. Almost all reasonable garages will have the equipment to check and should be able to fix it unless its something with the control unit or the airbag itself but i'd hazard a guess its a loose connection.

Thanks Wexcar. That's helpful. I'm glad to know I won't be knocked out by a spontaneous airbag discharge (had a niggling fear...:eek:). I think I need to get that fixed pronto though.
Am in Dublin, by the way. Sorry to all non Dublin posters.
Nicola

No you'll be fine. It basically disables itself and shows the light as a warning to let you know its off. There is always a tiny risk though that the problem could be on the airbag unit itself and that it might deploy regardless but its a small risk.

A very highly rated indepedent garage in Dun Laoghaire is Jetstar, they mainly do VW/Audi so should have no probs with a Merc. Don't have number but if you google you should find it. Also AC Cars on the south circular, again mainly BMW but should also be able to help

I believe so, they are higly rated in terms of what they do, so I'd say they are probably more expensive that a smaller independent garage but not as expensive as a main dealer. With something like an airbag prob its worth getting someone with the proper knowhow giving it a check IMO.

Hi Wexcar,
I've phoned AC cars, and they seem very reasonable and helpful.
While I was looking for a recommendation I had phoned another garage and spoke to the mechanic who said :'I'm not sure how to work the machine yet' but that he was going to get some training on Mon, and would do my car after that...Hmm. Bit of a worrying reply! There's honesty then there's frightening customers..
So I appreciate getting the name, and you're dead right about having someone with the proper knowhow.

Cheers :)
Nicola

The SRS warning light used to come on sporadically on my car. I discovered that it was because I was leaving things on the passenger seat. The sensor in the seat would notice the weight but would be warning me that if it was a person they were so light that the airbag might hurt them.

That must have been annoying! (especially since it seems that a reset by a computer seems to be needed to reprogram the SRS, at least in my car anyway).
Another thing that can set off these sensors is hoovering under the seats(!!)(ie, cleaning your car) and storing things under them, e.g. shoes etc that can bang off the sensors.

AC cars were unable to fix the problem, unfortunately (their computer was unable to read the fault).
However, they replaced a bulb for me (for free) and were really helpful. They also sourced the name of an independent Mercedes garage locally that can fix the problem (actually went upstairs and searched on the internet until they found the contact details of the garage they were recommending).
How's that for excellent customer service?
Nicola

Glad to hear it worked out Nicola, surprised they couldn't read the fault must need a specific Merc diagnostic machine. They seem to be a good outfit alright.

Blooming heck!The part to fix this is €360 (pre labour/vat).It is a Mercedes specific part for under the steering wheel/for the airbag, and sadly for me, not an under seat sensor.
Ouch!
Nicola

Nicola,
Can you let us know the name of the independent Mercedes garage and if you were happy with the service?

Thanks

Randombloke

Back