Spurious charities collecting in Shopping Centers/Malls where Tesco is the anchor.

The buckets are usually placed where my messages need to go...

We get www.sari.ie collecting in my supermarket. All the collectors are coloured people...why?

Considering what they are collecting for you would imagine that the collectors would have been of mixed race?

Thanks for bringing this to our attn fizzelina.
Its scandalous if rogue collectors are getting away with this especially in shopping centres where you would imagine they have to be legit, show their permits etc.
Let us know how you get on with Tesco manager.

If they don't have a charity number, they are not a charity in my eyes and thus go away and leave me alone.

fThe ones that annoy me most are the chaps who regularly set up with a table and chair outside both the post office and credit union which are on the same street collecting for some vague charity
+1. And I agree re the OP, the names on display for these collections often are similar to genuine charity organisations and people may be misled in thinking that they are donating to genuine causes.

Let us know how you get on with Tesco manager.

How is this for Tesco customer service - the store manager called to my house today! He said they are the anchor tenant but the shopping centre manager gives the collectors permission not Tesco. He has a meeting with the shopping centre manager tmw to show him my letter and raise the concerns. He was very nice, very interested and will be phoning me about how tmw meeting goes.

now bill, that's nearly pathetic. It is not just gaa clubs that pack shopping bags in supermarkets, i have seen rugby clubs, hockey clubs, swimming clubs, athletic clubs, soccer clubs, in fact every kind of club, well, nearly every kind of club.

I can say that in the case of my own gaa club all monies donated in supermarket collections go to the running of underage sections. And to be fair to the local supermarkets it is the local clubs are allowed to pack groceries.

Nearly forgot, you dont have to contribute if you so wish.

+1

One of the biggest gripes I have is with the fragmenting of charitable work. Each charity needs an office, paid staff, publicity, travel expenses etc.

Ive split off this interesting (but off topic) discussion. Fragmentation of effort by multitude of charities

Keep this tesco thread to discuss spurious (unknown and unregistered) charities collecting in the precincts of Tesco anchored shopping centres.

aj

I went into my local Tesco yesterday,right outside the door was a bloke who, as I walked past said "'scuse me love........."...I said "No thank you" and walked on

Coming out he got as far as "Support the figh' against drugs" before I said another polite "no thank you"

I had to back in, again I was asked, polite no in response, I wouldn't expect him to recognise he had already asked me twice but on the way out I found myself walking past, head down pretending to be reading something interesting on my phone.

I don't contribute to these charities but it was this thread that got me thinking....."the fight against drugs!"..is what charity...exactly?

OP here - still no word from the shopping centre manager but I think I will follow up with the Tesco manager again. And also I was in Waterford on Saturday and I saw that the "Wishes Foundation" - not a charity but named to resemble the Make-A-Wish Foundation was collecting in the shopping centre there (not a Tesco anchor tenant) so actually this issue is more widespread - I feel like it is a Joe Duffy show topic!!

Tesco Stillorgan Shopping Centre had girls from the local school collecting at the checkouts, packing bags. I asked the young girl who she was collecting for and she had to have a look at the side of her bucket to see who she was collecting for. It simply said Help the Homeless. There was a young man who seemed in charge and I asked him what the name of the charity was and did he have the charity number. His reply was. He said that the woman who is looking after it has gone on her break. Considering that they had only just set up I thought this strange. Are local schools being targeted by bogus charities to give credibility to what they are doing?
l

I probably come across as cold and rude to these people but Ive bigger
things to worry about than what some randomer in the supermarket thinks of me.

Lol,I say they love you truthseeker! I don't mind the supermarket one's, but I find the one's on the high streets very pushy. T'oder day some girl working for an animal rescue charity stopped me and asked "if i wanted to save a dog's life today". Now that's a bit too much of an attempted guilt trip for my liking. Concern do something similar, it's a real turn-off.

There was a collection outside Tesco in Rathfarnham recently for 'the street children of Calcutta'. Mindful of this thread, I walked on by.

When I worked in the UK I was employed by a Financial Statistics company who reported on summarised accounts of ALL UK registered charities, their expenses were unbelievable, commission to collectors, unreal overhead charges, trust me guys even with registered, 'above board' charities the amount of your donation that reaches the end cause is less than 20%, in some cases as low as 5%, I never remember the 25% mark being breached, was a very eye-opening experience.

Back