Springer Spaniels in very small run/no excercise

Concert

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice please.

Neighbours have two Springer Spaniels who are constantly locked in a little run. As far as we can see the only time he takes them out for excercise is during the hunting season and I dont know a lot about these dogs but presume they need some form of exercise.

They appear to be very unhappy, crying and barking all the time and when the wife gets in from work in the evenings they go mad barking. Both of these people are intelligent and should know better and as a dog lover I'm finding this quite distressing. Should I approach them nicely about this (my husband says no). They would not be the friendliest, a brisk 'hello' and that's normally it, or would it be better to let the situation lie?

As the owner of two dogs myself who get a three mile walk everyday I cant get over how ignorant dog owners are when it comes to their pets.

Springer spaniels are high energy working dogs and they need approx 40 minutes to 1 hour exercise per day. It is very unfair to leave them in a small run.

Try ringing an organisation like the DSPCA and see if they can give you any advice.

Besides being unfair to the dogs it is unfair also to the neighbours, like yourself, who have to listen to the crying and barking.

Concert it is certainly worth ringing your local SPCA as suggested by Sue Ellen. I did this before as I was told about a dog like that and they came very quickly and in this instance the owners handed over the dog to them, that probably won't happen here but they would advise you whats the best way to handle it. It is so distressing for you to be living beside them and seeing the poor dogs like this. It would break my heart also. It truly makes me sick the way some people treat their pets. The other thing is are there other neighbours near you also that feel the same. Maybe if a few of you got together to visit and explain nicely as possible to them that the dogs would need a bit more exercise and attention.

Back